Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use of a lawn roller for weed control (pic)

Posted by aka_Peggy Md6b (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 10, 05 at 15:39

In the spring DH and I built a grape arbor made of young locust trees. We wanted to use flagstone pavers for a floor but couldn't fit it into the budget this year. So instead we laid down landscape fabric and put shredded hardwood mulch over that. There was nutsedge growing in that area and I know it's capable of growing thru the landscape fabric. I happen to have a lawn roller so I decided to use it to compress the mulch. It worked really well by compressing the mulch to the point that it felt almost like a hard surface. It looked so good that I decided to roll the mulch in some of my other beds. By this fall I discovered another benefit to rolling the mulch. Generally I get weed seeds (particularly corn speedwell and dandelions) that germinates on the mulch but this fall there were no weeds in any of the beds I rolled out. Apparently the mulch was so compressed that there's little air space for weed seeds to fall into and take hold. And so far...no nutsedge. However I don't hold out much hope that the nutsedge won't reappear next year.

Here's a picture of a lawn roller in case you don't know what I'm talking about.

http://www.composters.com/docs/lawncare5.html?gclid=CLXpzM_j8oECFThnOAod1yKxPw

Here's the finished arbor.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use of a lawn roller for weed control (pic)

Peggy, Your yard looks so lovely! Thank you for sharing the info and the picture! My neighbor offered his roller to me, and I didn't see the need. But I have weeds galore.
I think I'll take him up on the offer, now.
Diann

o
RE: Use of a lawn roller for weed control (pic)

Thank you Diann,

I think you'll be surprised by how nice the roller "treatment" makes the mulch look. If you pile on 3" of mulch...(shredded hardwood is my favorite) and run over it with the roller a few times it naturally compacts the mulch and takes all the fluffiness out. I go through a lot of mulch and I know that many weeds will grow right thru that mulch...or on top. The smallest amount of light invites them.

It may be premature for me to proclaim that compressing the mulch with the roller will keep the weeds from growing there, but so far I'm optimistic.

I'll report back on this later next summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here