Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help Identify

Posted by aufin (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 07 at 16:16

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what his weed is? This guy is quite agressive. Wherever it pops up, everything around it seems to be dead after I pull the clump of weeds out of the ground. I have it somewhat under control, but I still want to know the name of this thing. It's invasive and agressive......and I hate it. Thanks.

Image link: Please help Identify (13 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help Identify

The picture is quite small but the leaf shape reminds me of Nightshade, an aggressive plant that spreads both by rhizomes and the small red berries it produces that are a favorite food of many bird species.
The best method of control is mechanical removal, removing as much root as is possible. The more often top growth is removed the less food the rhizomes can store to generate new growth and as those rhizomes weaken and die fewer plants will emerge, unless birds keep spreading more seed around.

o
RE: Please help Identify

Nope, not it. This grows low on the ground. No noticeable flower other than the parrot-beak looking seed pod shown. I'll try again with another larger photo......soon as I can figure how to make a larger picture appear.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here