Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Organic Weed Out - Raw Manure It?

Posted by voreas 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 27, 08 at 17:18

First timer howdy all, great patch.We all know fresh manure burns veggie plants,we are constantly warned about it or are careful about it. My question is this: can we use raw manure to k-ill weeds?I don't mean theoretically, I suppose etc.Does or has anybody done it?Success rate?I have a thick wild amaranth galactic size population ready to explode with a zillion seeds and before I invest on the traditional plastic mulch, dig or shake rattle and roll, I'd like your lights on this one. Thank you and Happy Holidays everyone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Organic Weed Out - Raw Manure It?

Amaranth seeds can live for years in the soil. You might be able to pile the manure thick enough to cook the seeds but it is unlikely.

o
RE: Organic Weed Out - Raw Manure It?

Fresh, raw manure because of the high and very soluble Nitrogen can "burn" plants, but since many seeds can live through the digestion process and be viable in manure it will not have much seed killing potential unless composted which will kill the seeds in the manure. If these "weed" seeds were covered with several inches of a mulch that might prevent them from germinating, but seeds have stayed viable in soil for many years even when deeply buried as long as the conditions for germination are not present.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here