Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxharryjohnson

Soft white roots overrun raised bed soil needs advice.

maxjohnson
9 years ago

Hello, I am a new gardener. I made an initial mistake when I started by buying the Vigoro organic garden soil. They are very heavy, terrible at holding water (you can water them as much as you want and it'll stay dry), and had very low PH.

After learning my lesson I relegated the Vigoro soil to the bottom 6inch of my raise bed as fillers. I filled the rest on top with Lambert organic soil which are OMRI certified. They are very light, soft and hold water very well. The plants are very healthy with the Lambert soil.

Today I dug deep into my raised bed and found there are many soft white roots taken over my entire raised bed, they were not there in the beginning, I had double layers of landscape fabric and one layer of cardboard in the bottom of my beds before adding soil. And these roots do not exist in my garden soil outside the raised bed, I don't think they come from the Lambert soils since they are not apparent on the top layers.

I strongly believe whatever they are they came from the Vigoro soil which were very poor quality soil to start with. I am fearing whatever they are they will grow very thick and take over, which will make it difficult for my vegetables to thrive.

I don't know what they are, I included a photo although I'm not sure it'll be helpful. They do not grow into any plants but propagated over the entire soil. Right now I am infuriated. I wonder if I should chuck all of the soils in all my raised beds and start over fresh. Just looking for ideas from more experienced members on what to do in this situation. Thanks.

This post was edited by maxjohnson on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 18:17

Comments (5)