Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone identify a bee by its stinger?

Posted by california_l33 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 15, 06 at 9:28

I had an unfortunate encounter with a bee today. I was on a bicycle, and we collided with a closing speed that was approaching 50MPH. It felt like I'd been punched, and I ended up with bee parts in my mouth and on my face. After I finished spitting and wiping about the only thing left was the stinger embedded in my lip, and though I ended up with quite a fat lip, I'm not sure how much of it was due to impact, and how much to venom. Naturally all I saw was a blur, but the impact was so hard I imagine it was a bumble bee. Can anyone tell for sure by looking at the stinger?

Image link: Can anyone identify a bee by its stinger? (19 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone identify a bee by its stinger?

Since the stinger was imbedded into you, then it likely belongs to a honey bee. Other bees don't lose their stingers. The big impact came from your speed on the bike. You can see the poison sac in that image. That is pulled out of the innards of the honeybee when she stings you.

It does not surprise me that you ended up with a fat lip, as that would be a very sensitive place to get a bee sting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here