Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lary1047

Help Problems with BATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lary1047
19 years ago

Howdy all!!

We have a brick home with two front entrances the first one is a protected open foyer area there is an area where you can stand and then go into the front door. The front of the houses faces west and becomes a heat sink during the day and at night gives off great heat. Our problem is "Bats" they have found it a GREAT PLACE for them to sleep at night and leave their droppings all over the place.

The only way we have stopped them from staying is to leave the lights on!!! That gets anoying with the lights on all night and expensive. Does anyone have any other ideas????

Thanks Lary

Comments (6)

• NinjaPixie
    19 years ago

That must be so frustrating! I'd love to have some bats living in our area, but not quite like that!

They might be willing to relocate easily if you put up a spiffy bat house for them. Check out the Bat Conservation Society website for info and ideas -- I'll attach a link. The people are really nice and very helpful, and can help you find ways to discourage the bats from roosting there. (Since you're in MI, they might even be local.)

As for where to get a bat house, you can buy them in various home-improvement stores like Home Depot, Lowes, and so forth. The conservation group sells them too.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bat Conservation Society site

• puddle_of_mud
    19 years ago

Consider yourself lucky! There are many people who would love to have bats and try as they might, they just can't get them. They eat a ton of bugs every night. Just be careful if you are sweeping the bat poop (guano) You don't want to be breathing that in. Guano is however, a wonderful fertilizer so place your plants underneath. You also should know that even though it's not in a real convenient spot, it is still against the law to disturb a bat nesting site so get them out of there before they really get going. You can place a rubber snake or any other natural enemy close by, place a bat house in a more suitable position with similar environment. Face the house the same direction, at the same height, etc. Place some of the bat poop on the ground under the bat house and hope for the best. Just be careful messing with that stuff it's way not good for you. You can purchase a bat house for anywhere between $50-$100 or build one yourself for around $20.

• hannah
    19 years ago

We have one little bat that also hangs out at night on our front porch under the eave...I love'm!
    He really keeps the bug population under control.
    If you don't want'm...I'll take'm! :)

• Carolina_Jewel
    19 years ago

Make or buy some bat houses and screen off their ports
    of entry. I lived in Texas for several years and New
    Mexico, and this helps. ALSO you can SAVE the droppings
    in piles outside after you clean out the area, let them
    season over for 6 months. It makes a SUPER FERTILIZING
    soil additive!
    Jewel

• Jonesy
    19 years ago

Try smaller lightbulbs, to hold down the cost. You may not have to leave them on forever, just until they relocate. good luck

• moonwolf23
    18 years ago

What about a porch ceiling fan type of thing. Turn it on before they come by the whirring blades should disturb them enough and you can turn it off when they find someplace else to sleep.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource