Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What animal feces, animal scat, poop is this? see my photo.

Posted by toad08 7a Charlotte NC (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 26, 04 at 16:41

Hi,
If I leave water in a 2 or 5 gallon bucket overnight sometimes I find animal poop in it the next day. This morning I rinsed out the buckets and replaced them with fresh water. This afternoon I went to use the water in the buckets and found animal poop in them again, in broad daylight!. What animal left this poop? A possum?, raccoon? Also I found where something raided my garden pool this morning but couldn't find any tracks. I have seen possums in my yard. My cat stays out on the patio area all day and seems perfectly content while I was changing the water in the buckets this afternoon.
I am concerned about any diseases which might be in this poop. We sometimes use a leaf blower to clean the patio and don't want poop getting airborn. :-)
Please tell me what animal left this poop?
Thanks!

Image link: What animal feces, animal scat, poop is this? see my photo. (27 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What animal feces, animal scat, poop is this? see my photo.

• Posted by ccox z8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 17, 04 at 21:53

I don't know what it is, but I do know it doesn't belong to a mammal. Mammals don't have scat that is so "uniform" in size and shape.

o

I've done a fair amount of animal tracking over the years but have never seen scat that looks anything like that. It looks more like a flower bud or seed pod to me. What size are the "droppings"? Are there any trees or a roof overhanging the buckets?

Oneida

o

Could it be a fungus? That what it seems to be.

o

Can you take a picture of it with a ruler to compare size? That is certainly not any scat from an animal. It might be insect eggs, perhaps amphibian eggs. Maybe from a salamander.

o

Looks like fungus

o

did you ever figure this one out?? I am so, so curious.

o

I'm so glad I'm not alone in my curiosity...

o

I spent a lot of time trying to look this one up - and learned that the shape is called a petaganon, hehe.

o

If this is fairly small (1/8" to 1/4"), it could be caterpillar droppings.

o

I know this was from a long time ago....
It IS caterpillar scat that has rehydrated from the water in the bowl.
cater pillars "launch" it either 4 or 40 times their body length. I can't remember which. This is thought to be done to keep predators like wasps from finding their nest and larvae. I had one bounce off my head and land on the patio table. I thought it was a squirrel pellet till I noticed the lobed, extruded look to it and searched till I found what it was. Probably will not harm the animals.... It's plant matter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here