Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njtea

Winterberry berries gone in one day

njtea
18 years ago

On Sunday, I noticed a flock of robins in the winterberry hollies. They were in the hollies for a few mintues, before moving to the woodland floor to hunt for insects - there were leaves flying all over the place as the robins worked the debris.

Yesterday, when I got home from work, I noticed the berries on the winterberry in the back yard were gone. I then glassed the woodland and saw that every bush had been picked clean.

I presume it was the same flock of robins from the day before.....and I'm sorry I missed them. That would have been a sight to see as there must be 50 winterberry hollies spread throughout my woodland.

Comments (6)

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

New Jersey tea Those robins work fast the same thing happened with my holly tree This year I had a ton of berries on my oversized Holly tree The last time I had that many berries was in 2002 anyway a large flock of robins came and ate them all! Sarah

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

Hey Tea. Interesting and to be expected. Where do you live in North Jersey?

I still have all of my winterberries (both Winter Red & Harvest Gold) as well aronia 'brilliantissima' and most of the American & blue hollies here at the shore in Monmouth County.

Noticed a lot more robins in the canopy on the 31st; also that all of the resident birds (bluejays, song sparrow, cardinals, etc) were singing/cackling away that morning as I walked my dog. Brought a big smile to this writer's face as I projected a mental picture of the calendar knowing that we were now a month beyond the winter solstice.

BTW, did the robins at least leave a "tip" after dining at your place? It's typically 15-20% :^ ))))))))

• njtea
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Birdsong - I'm sure they did leave a "tip" but it's all out there in the swamp.

Yesterday, on my walk, the swampy area up the road held robins, bluebirds, song sparrows, titmice, white-throated sparrows all singing away. It's a great "birdy" place 'cause in addition to the wetlands, a stream runs through the area, making it very attractive to the birds.

I'm in Hunterdon County, close to the Morris County line.

Re: the calendar - I figure it's all uphill from here - even if it should snow with the angle of the sun getting higher every day the snow won't stay around too long - says she with her fingers crossed. I probably just jinxed us. It does look as if we are headed for a couple of weeks of below normal temps. again.

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

Comin back at ya. No jinx. The time frame between the old traditional president birthdays has always been "peak time" for massive noreaster storms here in NJ.

We dodged a bullet here near the ocean. But 6". All of that snowpack will only add to recharging acquifers and helping all of the plants in our gardens.

Regards

Ted

• njtea
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ted, there are close to 20" on the ground up here. Over in the NJ forum I posted that the main road has yet to be plowed and it's so nice and quiet - no cars - it's heaven - like the "good old days".

And you are so right about this time of the year being prime time for snow storms - if I recall correctly, the 70's produced many a President's Day (or was it still Lincoln's and Washington's birthdays back then?) storm.

• newyorkrita
    18 years ago

I guess I am late chiming in here but my winterberries are still here at the end of march. This in spite of the Mockingbirds eating on them all winter long. Still have lots of berries around on all sorts of shrubs.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH