Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How useful are blackberries?

Posted by Nif_NortheasternPA z5 NEPA (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 4, 06 at 10:34

I am guessing they are not native!

Are they a terrible invasive, a mild invasive, or a useful thig to have around?

- Nif

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How useful are blackberries?

There are dozens of blackberry species that are native to North America, from the Arctic Circle southward. Some are fairly aggressive. Virtually all are useful, as their fruits are tasty, and in addition to their usefulness as a human food source(Yum! Love that blackberry cobbler!), wildlife species rely on them extensively as a food source, as well as a source of cover.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rubus spp. - in the thicket of it

o

The very invasive berry that we have around us in PA is variously called many things (I was told it was called thimbleberry or wineberry), but the Latin name is Rubus phoenacolasius. It's absolutely delicious to humans and birds, but it is displacing natives through its vigorous growth habits. Here's a link for you to see if this is your plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wineberry

o

Thank you so so much!!

I really don't think they are the invasive kind, thank goodness!!

They just are not that 'perfect looking' I don't think, and the thorns are not 'fuzzy' like the Wineberry. I will have to wait until spring to be sure.

If I do have some wineberry mixed in, I will be sure to kill it.

You guys really are great, thank you so much for your help in keeping things native.

o

Hey Jennifer I haven't seen you around lately, hope all is well with you.
Lisa

o

I think there pretty useful if you can afford them. I know alot of people use them for business to check emails and such.Also for things like keeping appointments and keeping in touch with the home office. Id say go for it get a blackberry.

lol
jeff

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here