Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade Plants for Deer Browsing?

Posted by maden_theshade 8 - Austin (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 9, 09 at 10:56

I back up to a creek w/ woods on the other side. There are lots of deer back there and sometimes they come across when hungry. My question is, are there any seeds I can throw out in the underbrush that will come up on their own and produce some plants they would find tasty? I've seen bags of seeds at Academy for the hunters, but seems those mixes all need sunshine.
thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade Plants for Deer Browsing?

If you are planning to landscape your yard, I wouldn't attract deer to it.

If you are a mow and go kind of landscaper and you aren't concerned about browsing damage, you could toss out some clover or rye. Cheap seed, easy to grow. Though really deer will eat almost anything.

Hostas are deer candy, but that's not a plant that you could just toss out seed for....

o

I'm not familiar with your area, but around MO mayapple grows very well in understory conditions. Even though it is posionous to man I seem to remember reading that deer eat it... not sure though because I sure do see a lot of unbothered around here! Anyway, if they do eat it (suggest googling) you could collect some seeds in the spring and plant them if they are not already growing there. 90% of the time I see a deer eating around here they are eating on some kind of shrubbery or small trees, you can easily see the grazed shrubs in almost any woods near me. They may already have a good supply of food. You department of conservation would probably know best, around MO deer are so common people actually have to look for something they won't eat!

o

Alas in the woods across from me and all around this area deer have become so over populated that there is a special hunt in the city areas from October 15 to middle January. One of the main Johnson county Kansas parks have 30 deer per acre. The deer around here seem to be herd animals. I would not like for anyone to feed a deer for several years and then have a hunt area set up. Deer will gradually become smaller as the amount of food available becomes less. Think of the reverse of when people started eating better and became taller. If you eat less the generations become shorter.

For the deers sake please rethink you planting food for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here