Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann_tx8

Drip watering system for birds

ann_tx8
18 years ago

I would appreciate instructions on how to create drip watering systems for birds. I cannot use a "pond" setup because of the poisonous snakes thatwould be attracted to it. (We have water moccasins, copperheads, and Texas coral.) I would also appreciate knowing the best place to put it, since we have hawks and I need to know how much protection the birds would need (Trees, shrubs, etc.)

We live in a rural area, and out house is at the edge of a pine and hardwood forest. Two years ago when we had freeze with icicles for a few days--unusual for my East Texas area-we kept our outside hydrants dripping slowly. One dripped onto a concrete stepping stone, and I was so thrilled to see that it had attracted dozens of birds from the woods--many I haven't seen before or since. They were all colors and sizes, many drinking and bathing together--what a glorious slight. I want to furnish them a year-round source of fresh water to drink and bathe in but can't come up with a design. It doesn't have to be pretty--just attractive to them.

Any help you can give me, including what NOT to do, would be so much appreciated. Thanks.

Ann

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?