Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stimpy926

Droppings ID

stimpy926
18 years ago

Hi there, this is a pic of my table bird feeder screen. I know i have night visits from skunk, possum, possibly others... anyone recognize what animal this comes from. At least I'm pretty sure it's from a night-time visitor ~ it's the thingies that look like straw bundles...

{{gwi:1344399}}

Comments (5)

• Elly_NJ
    18 years ago

Well, I'm guessing raccoon or possum, because they are good climbers and it's too big for flying squirrels.

Consider not leaving any food overnight in your feeder. In particular, you don't want to in any way handle raccoon feces or have raccoon feces contaminate what the birds eat.

Here is a link that might be useful: raccoon roundworm (Baylisascaris procyonis)

• htown
    18 years ago

That is kind of scarey. The article said the two kids got it from chewing on firewood. It seems that if they had a pet raccoon there would be infinite other ways for them to get it before being infected by chewing on contaminated firewood. I grow herbs in my yard that I eat all the time, and it is sort of frightening to think that my food could possibly be out there amidst millions of deadly parasitic worms. Does anyone know of any studies done on the racoons in Southeast Texas?

• htown
    18 years ago

Well, I did alot of reading on this subject, and have been impressed upon that it might be a decent idea to stop feeding the racoons, or putting out table scraps. It just seems like such a waste to throw away food that could be eaten by a hungry critter. Especially in winter when there is less to eat. Maybe I could take it farther out away from the gardens and stuff. I have always eaten stuff out in the garden without washing it, but this may have put an end to that. All it would take would be to eat something that the rain had splased an egg on to.

• catherinet
    18 years ago

I quit feeding the wild birds when I got chickens, because they were under my feeders every night, and I didn't want to attract them to the chickens. I haven't seen one since. They are noxious creatures who will get into everything around the outside of your house. My bird feeders used to be inaccessible to the coons, but they'd come every night to pick up the dropped seed. Then they'd climb my trees and get into fights and damage the trees. They get into the trash, and the dogs water dish, and my water garden and leave poop all over the place.

htown, I would highly recommend that you take your scraps FAR away from where you want the coons.

• Elly_NJ
    18 years ago

htown, it's nice of you to offer them your scraps, but they don't need it. Raccoons are very opportunistic and successful.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus