Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best berry shrub for birds

Posted by lidebbie z7-LI,NY (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 11, 06 at 13:38

I'm hoping that some of you could give me your opinion as to what shrub you would have to feed the birds if you could only have one type. Especially for the fall/winter months.

I need this for zone 4 in New York. I do have many natural shrubs on a wooded piece of land but need to plant some shrubs around the perimeter of a part that was cleared. I would like to get the most for the birds out of these plants. The spot gets partial sun/shade.

Would Hawthorn be a good choice? Thanks for your advice. Debbie.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best berry shrub for birds

Hawthorne would be ok. Elderberry, Viburnum, Crabapple, Serviceberry, Winterberry, Dogwood. All should be fine for zone 4.

o

All of the above. There are way too many good choices to pick just one.

o

Ditto. My dogwoods were stripped early this year, the aronia berries are lasting a bit longer, the viburnum berries went early, too. I don't have many berries left by this time of year. I would mix and match as much as I could (while still allowing for cross pollination) if I were you :)

o

Does Hawthorn have berries during the winter like winterberry does ? Thanks, Debbie.

o

I have had good luck with Paracantha's. Wax wings and robins love them

o

I believe that hawthorn is a small/medium tree. Here is a web site for you to check it out. The branches also have rather nasty thorns. If you are putting it near an area where people or animals are going to be playing or walking, be careful about the thorns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawthorn

o
RE: berry's galore

Here are some comments on the bluebird forum about the bird-attracting quality of the hawthorn!! Just saw this after I posted the last time.

Here is a link that might be useful: bluebird forum

o

Thanks everyone. I'll have to check all this out. Debbie

o

Not a shrub but a tree with high value for birds, Juniperus virginiana. It is an alternate host for cedar apple rust so you wouldn't want to grow it if you have apple or crabapple trees ( Malus species)

Here is a link that might be useful: Juniperus virginiana

o

The winterberry holly berries are the only berries left here in northern NJ - all else has been long since eaten.

o

My dogwood trees are always bare before the leaves fall off. The cardinals and robins seem to like beauty berries, last year all of my pyracantha berries were eaten but the birds haven't eaten many of them this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here