Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hay Versus Straw?? Do the Deer FEED on this?

Posted by bertman z6 CT (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 20, 11 at 13:47

I live near a leased field and the farmer that rounds up the hay generously give me a couple of bails every year or so. He leaves a bunch for the deer also. However I never seem to see any activity of the deer or much sign that anything is eaten? MY Question: I would like to bring some fresh hay, this year's crop out in the woods away from my property yet still within viewing distance. The winter pretty harsh this year and heavy snow makes for some tuff eating. So If I bring out some hay will they take advantage of it or is it not worth it? More of a locational thing? Also how long before it's uneatable? When does Hay turn to Straw?
thanks'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hay Versus Straw?? Do the Deer FEED on this?

Straw are the stems of feedgrains that are left after the grain is combined. Hay is generally considered to be from plants that are grown for foliage. Hay will not turn to straw. Nutrient value depends on what plants are cut and when. Cut late in season after seeds form more nutrition. Earlier in season more fiber and some vitamins.

Bring out the hay but in most cases because the differences in stomachs between cows and deer, the deer can not digest as well but is better than nothing if the snow is too deep for the deer to reach the forage they normally use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here