Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Where are the baby squirrels?

catherinet
18 years ago

Hi all,

We have lots of squirrels around our woods, but DH and I were talking today, and we realized that we have never seen a baby squirrel. I wonder why? They all look pretty much the same size all the time. Do they maybe keep them in the nest a really long time? Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments (5)

• lisa11310
    18 years ago

Hi there! Yes baby squirrels stay very near the nest for quite some time, you need to look at behavior rather than size to see that the squirrel is a baby, they play like kittens, race around and jump on each other etc. The only time I have ever seen TINY baby squirrels is when whe had a nest of them loose the Mom this last spring. A little one made his way out of the tree and came walking up to us, we picked him up and called a rehabber, she told us to watch for more and sure enough I found another the next day, I could find no sign of a nest anywhere, but 2 day later I heard one crying (they will cry loudly if in perril)and will seek human help. I spotted the baby still in the tree cavity,she was too weak to come down the tree so I went up and got her. I held and fed all 3 of these little ones till I could get them to the rehabber (I had good instructions) unfortunatly we found a 4th one had already died in the nest. SO you don't WANT to see a baby squirrel because that most likely means something has happened to the Mother. If you DO see one call a rehabber IMEDIATLEY! I have pics of one of my little guys but don't know how to post them , I will e mail them to you if you would like. lvlice@aol.com
    Lisa

• catherinet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Lisa,
    Thanks for that info! That's sad about those babies losing their mother. How good of you to help them! That's wild that the babies walked right up to you. Yes, I would enjoy the pictures. I will email you. Thanks again!

• lisa11310
    18 years ago

I sent the pics, if you know how to post them here please do. NOTE never try to feed a baby wild animal ANYTHING unless you have spesific instructions from a rehabber. The first pic (in my hands) is the first little guy needing help, the second one is his sister 4days later, who was touch and go for awhile, but she made it. I was feeding her a combo of pedialite and goats milk (neighbors have goats). Never give cows milk to a wild baby.The best thing to do is to put them in a box with a hot water bottel and call a rehabber right away. I filled some water/juice bottels (covered in a towel) and the babies snuggeled up on them.
    Hope this helps'
    Lisa

• catherinet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Lisa,
    I'm sorry, but I don't know how to post those pictures either! They are sooooo sweet. It's so great that you took care of them (or got them to the rehabber). They're just so darned cute! Thanks so much for sending them to me.

• riverratspaz
    18 years ago

Hi all Great story about the squirrels, we have Fox squirrels here, red ones, and one Big Bear of a squirrel, his name is blacky, of course hes black, genetic mutation in the fox squirrels along with the Albino's you may have heard or read about. I go through about 20lbs of corn and bird seed a month they are all overwieght!!!

To post pics you need a host site, You can post free at (photobucket.com) once youve set up an account, all you do is copy and paste the TAG under your pics into the body copy of the post, then when you preview your message the pics will appear.

EASY AS PIE!

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA