Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
actionclaw

Dramatic change in birdfeeder activity: Why?

About a week ago I put out a suet cake that seemed an instant hit. I hung a few more and eventually filled a feeder or two, as well.
For several days there was a flurry of activity from morning to near sundown: As many as a dozen at a time but almost always a few. Several Downy Woodpeckers, (I believe) a Hairy Woodpecker, Buntings, Cardinals, Chickadees, a Blue Jay, and more. There was so many, so regularly that I sometimes had to replace the cakes daily.

Then it stopped. Nothing else has changed but, the last few days, there have been no vistors at all and I'm wondering why.

The busy days were near zer0; the last few days we've had a heat wave --in the 30's. Could the cold weather have put them into a "feeding frenzy" and now they've had their fill?

Competition from the neighbors feeder? Hers seem as filled and with just as few visitors.

To those that might offer suggestions about whether there's water available, are the seeds stale, etc., if there was then there is now, if they are now, they were then: everything's the same. So, any ideas for why the dramatic change and lack of interest?

Comments (3)