Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdx485

Landscape plan designed for wildlife?

jdx485
18 years ago

When people get landscape plans created are those creating the plans designing it around what looks nice or what will attract wildlife?

In another post I mention that I have 1.5 acres. I have few trees on the property. The prior owners planted a apple tree and also some shrubs along the garage. This year I added a 3" maple tree but it's small.

In a prior house I had more squirrils, blue jays and wildlife then I knew what to do with. I want to start to landscape the yard to attract wildlife but I don't want to pay for a plan that won't bring the wildlife to the yard.

Does anyone have any experice with these landscape plans?

Comments (7)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

You will have to seek a landscape designer with the same interests as you. Do some research on wildlife friendly landscaping so that you know what kind of language to use when interviewing people and discussing your needs. There are thousands of websites and hundreds of wonderful books that you can browse.
    I have to laugh at the way you worded your first sentence:"When people get landscape plans created are those creating the plans designing it around what looks nice or what will attract wildlife?" It isn't an 'either/or' kind of issue! You wildlife landscape can look absolutely beautiful, even traditional if you like it that way! It just boils down to the proper plant selection and the appropriate placement and combination of those plants.

Wildlife friendly landscapes must have plenty of cover, habitat, food sources, open spaces, as well as plants that do not require pesticides (insecticides, fungicides, herbicides, miticides, etc.) in order to manage them. But you can have lovely trees, flowering and fruiting shrubs, annuals and perennials, and even expanses of lawn.

Use a variety of resources for your information so that you can glean ideas from a wide range of experts. THEN, you can be more confidant in making sure that a landscape designer will be doing the right things.

• catherinet
    18 years ago

I agree, you should do lots of research first. And find out what is native for your area and state.
    I'm wondering if you would do better by involving DNR or forestry or Ag extension agent-type people, and not a "landscaper".

• jillhudock
    18 years ago

You might also browse the yellow pages - some landscape designers are now doing ONLY native plants. They usually advertise that way. Just ask them on your first phone call, before you even give your name - do they do natural habitats or native habit tats? If they hesitate, then move on to the next person. You may also look for your local Backyard Habitat Steward by contacting the below:

For more information about the Habitat Stewards program:
    E-mail: habitatstewards@nwf.org
    Or call: 1-800-247-7387 , ext. 6177.

They would certainly know the designers in your area which specialize in natives!

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

That's a lot of land to plant. If you're young and in no hurry, become a "student" of the business. Landscapes such as that which you desire do not happen overnight. And for those who do get that, it's big big $$$'s.

Read, research, talk to other gardeners (you'll be surprised that they 'gift' you some perrenials to get you started. Visit nurseries, a lot of them; see what they carry, take notes on plants, prices, etc and review them when you get home (Dirr's books on Trees/Shrubs are invaluable). You can get so much from books loaned from the library over the course of a winter as you plan.

Trust me. You can do it if you "bone up" on the subject. And most of all. Take your time. These projects should be expected to take anywhere from 5-7 years.

What you spend for a landscape architect CAN BE ACHIEVED by yourself! You're going to have to take baby steps. But once you, again, become a student of "horticulture", you'll find it to be so satisfying.

Good luck.

• jdx485
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the great feedback. The landscape plan I am visioning is trees, shrubs etc. The prior owners have left us plenty of flower gardens but as I mentioned we have a pretty bare 1.5 acres. Behind the property is nothing but woods. I am guessing the woods behind me is about 15 acres or so. I live in the country so this shouldn't be to hard. Thanks again for the advice.

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

Buy whips of oaks and other trees and plant them "seeing them grow" within the context of your place 10 years from now.

You'd be surprised how beautiful your place will look when the trees you plant are 15-20' tall. Whips are inexpensive and catch up and pass larger & more costly specimens that are planted at the same time.

• jillhudock
    18 years ago

forgot another source - check out Wild Ones - a non profit org that has chapters across the US - they should be happy to help, since that is the mission of the organization!

www.for-wild.com

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.for-wild.com/

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor