Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Berrying bushes for sandy soil

Posted by kelp 6A MA (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 21:27

My daughter recently moved from a yard with clay soil to one with sandy soil. She would like to attract more birds to her yard, including wild turkeys that are known to be in the area. Does anyone know of native shrubs bearing berries, fruit, or nuts that can tolerate sandy soil? Most will be in full sun. She's in zone 6A, in eastern MA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Berrying bushes for sandy soil

If it is not too dry i would suggest Winterberry holly, Highbush cranberry, and Northern Bayberry. I seen wild turkeys eat all of these. They also seen to love seed heads of almost any type of grass in late summer.
I think all of these would do well in sandy soil if you add organic matter and keep them watered.

o
RE: Berrying bushes for sandy soil

Thank you. I'll pass on the suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here