Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigshoes213

Birds are flying into our window ! help

bigshoes213
16 years ago

I live in an apartment on the 1st floor. I have a bird feeder out in the grassy area in front of our patio but the birds are flying into the patio area and hitting the sliding glass door. None have died or fallen down hurt (stunned) so far. But I need some ideas on how to prevent them from flying into the window. Thanks for any advice. Christina

Comments (10)

• loris
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Christina,

I did a Google search, and this link shows many of the suggestions I've come across in the past. Most of the ideas given are to make it more obvious to the birds that there is something there.

I've been on the Forums here for a while, and think there's usually more activity on the Bird-Watching Forum, and I know there are some people who are or have been involved with wildlife rehab there. I'm not sure, but I think you might have gotten an answer more quickly.

Good luck with this.

-- Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdwatcher's Digest page on preventing window strikes

• maifleur01
    16 years ago

I use the plastic stickers that look like thin jelly cut in forms that have become popular to stick on the windows. These can be found many places. They will absorb color from each other so place several inches appart on the window. Most birds seem to hit near the bottom middle of the window so this is where I place them. They are available for the various holiday but I generally use the squares, strips and cirles for my window as they are cheaper than the rest. I do have the tulips for my spring/Easter time.

• marys1000
    16 years ago

I stuck some post it notes to the outside of my picture window once - they stayed up an incredibly long time. They way they sort of wave around helps too.
    Also - this came up recently as something someone fairly knowledgeable was experimenting with. The bright flourescent yellow highlighter pens - clean the outside of your windows then draw a grid all over the winter, about an inch or tow inch blocks. Eventually it fades and you have to redo it but that might be an easy for now solution to try till you can track down something else.

• cheema
    16 years ago

Try black construction paper, cut out a large preditory bird sillouette and tape it to your window. Place it near center but up higher. You might find the plastic types that stick to windows ina birding magazine for order. It really does work. I have one of my own,and once had the same problem but not any longer. It won't frighten birds away from your yard but as they fly toward the window they see it and fly the opposite direction.

• echoes_or
    16 years ago

I use and with great results too a product called Window Alerts. It's a window decal that protect birds from flying into windows. I included the contact info below.

info@WindowAlert.com or 1-800-733-2753. I got mine from my local wild birds unlimited store. This product was developed in Bend, Oregon and I use at home and at work. A couple of years ago I paid less than 6 bucks for 4 decals.

• midwesternerr
    15 years ago

I don't have many problems but I follow the standard audubon guidelines regarding bug screen, drapes, and feeder placement which is probably why I don't have many issues.

From audubon.com

How can this help? Many birds strike windows after being startled off a feeder. Bird feeders placed within three feet of windows can reduce fatal collisions because birds do not have an adequate distance to reach high flight velocity. Placing the feeders more than 30 feet from a window will also reduce window collision risk because, at that distance, birds are more likely to recognize that the reflected image is part of a house and are less likely to fly toward it for safety.

Practicality HIGH: For homes with feeders, this is an easy and surefire way to reduce deadly window strikes.

Window Shades, Drapes, etc.

How can this help? White or light-colored window shades, blinds, or drapes, when drawn, eliminate much of the mirror effect or transparency of windows.

Practicality  HIGH: Interior window treatments (such as drapery) already exist in many homes. The downside is that they block the view to the outside. Drawing curtains or blinds when leaving for work or vacation is good practice.

Before: Drapes open, window reflects habitat After: Drapes closed, reflection greatly reduced

Window Decals or Items Hung Outside the Window

How can this help? Decals or objects placed on or in front of windows create an interference pattern that reduces the mirror effect of reflective windows and make transparent windows more visible. (For example, see "Wing Chimes" on the Fatal Light Awareness Program link below.)

Practicality  MED: Although decals are easily affixed to windows and are available in a range of styles (it is not necessary to use a hawk silhouette), they must be spaced close to each other to be effective  at most 2 inches apart horizontally, and 4 inches apart vertically. Objects, such as ribbon draped on the exterior side of a window must also be spaced strategically to create density. This density causes too much visual obstruction for many people. Covering just a portion of a window is better than no coverage at all.

Bird Netting

How can this help? Fine mesh netting stretched tightly over an entire window causes birds to "bounce" away before crashing into window glass and does not obstruct the view.

Practicality  MED: Works well but requires some do-it-yourself agility; poses entanglement risk if not properly installed. Netting must be taut and at the appropriate distance from the window. Adhere to instructions available with product or on the internet.

Window tilted - ground is reflected

Tilted Glass

How can this help? Tilting the glass in a window causes the ground to be reflected rather than possible shelter and escape routes for fleeing birds.

Practicality  MED: Not a foolproof solution but an easy way to address the problem during the construction or remodeling phase of a building. With supporting research, this practice might be commonplace in the future.

Fritted Glass

How can this help? Fritted glass has granules fused onto it to create a frost-like pattern that reduces its reflectivity and transparency.

Practicality  LOW: Currently being tested on a college campus, it holds some promise for widespread use in commercial and residential applications. May be perceived as esthetically unappealing by the general public and obstructs open view to the outside.

Window Films

How can this help? An opaque sheet of plastic attached to windows gives them a solid appearance.

Practicality  LOW: Films currently available to the general public severely limit visibility.

Bug Screen

How can this help? Bug screens or summer screens on the outside of exterior glass kept in place year-round will cut down on reflectivity and transparency while acting as barrier to birds and insect during warmer months.

Practicality  HIGH: In newer construction, double paned windows can be shielded by screens. In older homes with storm windows, screens would need to be switched with exterior glass.

• midwesternerr
    15 years ago

Using the above guidelines you probably should move the feeder within 3 feet of the door or more than 30 feet from it to prevent deadly collisons. There are a number of feeders that will stick to the door with suction cups (or a window) that would give you protection plus great visibility.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Bird feeder placement is critical.

If birds see the reflection of a tree or shrub in the glass, they will hit the window trying to land in the tree or shrub.

If you have a potted plant in or near the window, birds will fly into the window trying to land into that potted plant.

Decals can work but really you would have to place a whole bunch of them to break up the glass enough to deter birds from flying between the decals.

Decal stripes placed or painted 3" apart (mimic a partially opened vertical blind) seem to be effective for letting birds know something is there.

And you can get birdscreens to cover and films that self adhere to cover the entire glass...

• peakie_sncglobal_net
    13 years ago

I have bluebirds in my bird house and the male keeps flying into the windows. I put blue painters tape on every window but he continues to find a place that has no tape. I'm afraid he will hurt himself. What else can I do?
    I

• paulsiu
    13 years ago

I have used gel stickers, which makes the windows look silly but have been effective. You need to use a lot of them.

Be nice if someone invent a UV film that makes the window UV opaque that I can just apply to my window.

Paul

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery