Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
birds

Posted by maifleur 5b-6 MO (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 11, 08 at 23:41

Interesting occurance when I got to work this morning. As I got out of my car I could hear what I call the crew a mixed flock of sparrows and other small birds twitting from a couple of cars away. When I went around the front of cars there was a small hawk hovering just in front of the vehicle that the bird noises were coming from. The hawk flew around me and down the end ilse of the cars flying only about 18 inches above the ground. I truely wish I carried a camera with me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: birds

Musta been hungry :)

o

Hawks are very bold. The warriors of the bird world.
There must have been some food source near that car.
Was it a sparrow hawk? They are quite small. Pondy

o

I was not a sparrow hawk as it was mostly brown. I could not see its head but was a long fan shaped tail as it manuvered. A posibility is a merlin. A merlin is on the January 2008 Missouri conservation department calander and the picture is very close to the color. I have not taken to time to research merlins and they may be too small. I estimate the bird was about 12-14 long, tail skinny where attaches to body.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here