Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davek913

Attn. Squirrel lovers... Pictures galore

davek913
19 years ago

Here's a gallery for the squirrel fans. Plenty of pictures, though some are kind of fuzzy. I've found digital cameras can be picky about taking pictures when there are branches between yourself and the subject.

Squirrels and more squirrels

Comments (10)

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

That is one well-fed squirrel! Very cute, thanks for posting. I miss Charlie, the little red squirrel that lived in our spruce tree for two seasons. He/she was quite a character.

• FurryCritterFan
    19 years ago

Bookmarked your photo page, Dave. Those are Great! Thanx for brightening my day :-)

I added a squirrel pic to the home page on my linedgroundsquirrels website, too. Heh, I'm looking for lotsa expression-packed furry & precious images for a calendar project I'd like to do. Broad in the beam, a phrase my sis used when she spotted a few of our bkyard squirrels, sure describes the physique of yer shady-tail tree dweller!

CSG, reminds me of the white squirrel who lived by us for a year or two also. When we found him dead on the ground, falling from an ice-laden black walnut branch possibly, our teenaged daughter, hubby and I were very sad. Filmed 'im on videotape leisurelylaying on our deck rail plus digging in a yet-to-be-planted shrub pot on the deck. [ You miss 'em when they're gone. S/he got a special burial site in my underconstruction perennial grove. ]

Thanx for the work to post the pictures, DK.

• davek913
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Glad you liked them! Yes, they're very well fed. I buy bulk whole peanuts, and they come down from their house or neighboring trees every day. Back in the fall, it wasn't unusual to have 8 or 9 running around back there. We have 7 trees back there, and they all go their separate ways until it's time to come back for more.

Our couple for this winter, Ralph and Alice, come down out of the house when I call them, unless it's too cold. Today there were 4 out there, one of them running around and burying peanuts in the snow. There's a crust on it, and he would burrow down in it, then pop up in a little snow explosion and pat the snow back.

FurryCritterFan, that's a nice site. Beautiful pictures of all your critters, and nice stories. If you'd like any of those pictures I've got up there for your calendar, I've still got the full sized ones, and I also have some chipmunk pictures. The chipmunks seem to like the fact that we have a deck, 2 sheds, and our grand daughter's playhouse to hang out under. :-)

Also, for anyone looking to make a photo gallery of any sort using their own web space, there's a link to the program I used to generate this gallery and the one for our raccoons. It's very simple to use, and it's not too hard to add things like a background image, fiddle with the fonts, etc. It's called Web Album Generator. It's a pretty small file to download, and it's free.

• Jenney
    19 years ago

Dave, I loved your squirrel pictures. Thanks for sharing them. I really like the ones where he's laying across a little stubby branch sticking out from the tree, the ones of his little head in the squirrel house, and the one of him peeking over the fence and right after that esp. the one of him sitting there looking at you.

• FurryCritterFan
    19 years ago

DK, two years ago I snapped a very cute raccoon pic at the wildlife center. Should send you the link sometime. You're the dude who also shared the raccoon gallery, yes/no? I'll be back to peruse your SQ gallery and letcha know which photos I'd consider for the calendar. Thanks for the early yes. Gotta have chipmunk ones in there too. Can't ask for better overhead roofing and protection than your granddaughter's playhouse. [smile] Keep sharing the shadytail stories and photos as time allows. My parents have 3-4 beautiful island gardens that my Mom's spent 20+years expanding. Wish some of mom's green thumb skills would rub off on me! Someday hope to share more of those visuals - or get cuttings from mom to enhance our backyard retreat.

~ Hope your squirrelies live a long life,

• davek913
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yep, that was me with the raccoon site. The mother's just started coming back around the last couple of nights, too. A couple of strangers as well, but I'd know her anywhere. They sure don't like walking in the snow if they can get around it. She was doing her darnedest to stay in the trails the squirrels made.

There have been a few times I've seen them on the porch of her playhouse, and I'm sure they'd like to open the door and "visit". Never seem to be able to find the camera when they're there. I did have a picture of one of them sitting on the bench of her little picnic table, but can't seem to find it.

Just stuck one up with the chipmunks. Not as many pictures of them, but they just started warming to me last fall. Not quite as easy getting them in one place, either.

Nibblers and scooters

I actually got some video of them with our digital camera, and that's another reason I don't have as many pictures. Can't to do both at one time, but such is life.

Don't feel bad about not having green thumbs. I come from a farming family that migrated to NJ from IA in the 60's, and even though my mother kept up a good sized vegetable garden and flowers, my thumbs are teal or aqua on a good day rather than green. I do have that love of the earth, but I've yet to be terribly productive with it. My wife's the same way. She's always been more of a "stick it in the ground and see if it grows" sort.

I planted some lilies in our front yard a few years ago. When they died down after bloom, I said, "Par for the course." Little did I know that they would come back, and when they did the next spring, I got all excited. "Vick, Vick, look! They're alive!"

• plays_in_the_dirt
    19 years ago

It's nice to see some people who aren't trying to get rid of the squirrels. I just love to watch them run around and play.We have two Wally & Peanut the I raised after a storm.I turned them out in our yard and Wally will come down and eat from our hand.They are very cute little critters!!

• navymom2226
    19 years ago

Hi all,, so glad to see some other folks that enjoy their squirrels. We finially just gave up and decided they had to be treated like the family.. lol.. they have their own little tree chair and dried corn; they knock (so help me) on the slider door/deck to let us know they are ready for their morning peanuts; and just yesterday a new little guy showed up.. only when we throw the peanuts out.. he tries to jump and catch them. As for our cat "Princess",, they look at her like "sure we're afraid of ya" and walk right in front of her to gather their peanuts. They sure are comical to watch. Ever see one try and carry an eggroll??. we laughed for days about that!

• plays_in_the_dirt
    18 years ago

Here are some pictures of my squirrels!

http://community.webshots.com/user/mcauthen

• DurtGrrl
    18 years ago

What a great webpage! You definitely have some healthy looking squirrels! Haven't checked out the other pages yet, but it's good to know that other people share in my enjoyment of the fuzzy rodents.
    We are similarly "infested"--though they munch my garden somewhat, they are so darn fun to watch and cute I can't hold it against them. We've been feeding them out of a squirrel "lunch box" from WildBirds Unlimited--they have become quite accustomed to the additional food. And we've become quite enthralled with watching them!

Thanks for the tip about the WebAlbum Generator. I've been trying to put up about a billion digital photos the old-fashioned way--think I'll give it a shot!