Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bird feeding and squirrels, is this true?

Posted by lucille Houston (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 7:10

I'm not sure if this is true but I saw where birds are immune to capsaicin, the substance that makes hot peppers hot. I have a bunch of cayenne pepper, can I sprinkle it in the birdseed before putting the seed in the feeders to help the squirrels learn to go elsewhere?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bird feeding and squirrels, is this true?

Also I saw something on Ebay called the Absolute II squirrel proof bird feeder, is it hype or true?

o

"Squirrel proof" usually means the Squirrels can't eat the feeder! LOL There is no such thing as "Squirrel proof" however there are lots of good "squirrel discouraging " feeders. Give a Squirrel enough time they will eventually figure it out. If there is plenty of food that is easier to obtain they will leave the feeder alone.

o

actually there is a Squirrel proof feeder.
It is called the "Squirrel Buster Plus", we have had ours for a bit over a year and a constant barrage of squirrel after squirrel has never gotten a single seed from it.

The only seed squirrels get are what the birds spread onto the ground from the feeder.

I did have to add a longer pole to keep he feeder out further but not for the squirrels, was because of a Raccoon which is large enough to hang onto the upright pole and reach over and grab the feeder.
The "Flaming Squirrel sauce" which is Habanero oil thwarted him for a a bit but we had our bird bath right there and what he did was pull the feeder over and then dump the seeds in the water, wash them, then eat them.

So the longer pole stopped that.

But squirrels have zero chance.

Here is another post showing the longer pole and feeder setup.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wildlife/msg0522232812126.html?19

Here is a link that might be useful: Squirrel Buster Plus

This post was edited by Nunyabiz1 on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 13:16

o

Get a squirrel baffle, checkout www.squirrelbafflestore.com

Thats where I have gotten all mine and that solves the squirrel issue all together.

o

Yes, that is true. Some think it is why the plants evolved capsaicin...to discourage rodents from eating their fruit while not discouraging birds. (Birds fly and spread seed more farther).

The catch is that hungry squirrels can develop a tolerance to capsaicin over time and come to like it, the way some humans do.

It's still worth a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here