Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharbear50_gw

Bird Identification please

sharbear50
14 years ago

I know this picture is blury, the wind was blowing my bird feeder. This bird is the first visitor to my new bird feeder. How pretty. Can someone tell me what bird it is. I have searched the web but can't find it. This is in Port Saint Lucie, Florida, yesterday. Thank you.

Sharon

Comments (5)

• xentar_gw
    14 years ago

Looks kind of like a Painted Bunting (Passerina ciris). Very beautiful birds.

• sharbear50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes indeed, I saw him again this morning. Hungry little guy. I should have remembered these birds. I used to see them when I lived in Virginia. I didn't know they came down this far.
    Thank you for the ID.

• kayef
    14 years ago

Looks like a bunting. May be an escape and that would explain his presence that far south!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

I would expect to find these birds in Florida, absolutely.

sharbear, look for the females, too. They're greeny-grayey-yellowey.

It's funny...the very first bird I had at a new feeder I installed (at the beach in lower SC, no less) was a bunting. I hung the feeder, turned to go back inside...and when I went to slide the glass door shut...he was already there! He found the feeder in about 5 seconds.

• sharbear50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have seen the greenish/yellowish female. I thought at first it was a parakeet that had escaped from a cage.lol. Those two and one male cardinal are all I see on it, but it is several times a day.
    Rizo, and the paper that came with the bird feeder read "it may take several weeks for birds to find a new feeder". What do they know? This is the only feeder I have.