Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrion Flower Smilax herbacea

Posted by lukifell zone5 NH (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 23, 05 at 12:02

I can hardly believe I am the first person ever to post a message about this plant on the Gardenweb site. Does this mean this is a rare plant ?

You can see a neat picture of this plant in the Audubon Society book of wildflowers, Eastern Region. Apparently this is only one of two plants in Eastern North America that has blue berries arranged in a globe-like cluster. The other is the Speckled Wood Lily - Clintonia umbellulata.

Carrion Flower is supposed to be attractive to wildlife. I have never actually seen a live plant. It is virtually impossible to find a nursery that sells Carrion Flower.

Is anyone else even aware of the existence of this unique species ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrion Flower Smilax herbacea

I know it as S. lasioneura and have a pressed specimen somewhere. Don't think it is very rare.

o

Thanks Lycopus. Carrion Flower is on my list of Native New Hampshire Plants That I have Never Seen But want to Grow.

Also on this list:

2. Great Solomon's Seal polygonatum commutatum This plant can grow 7' tall.

3. American Spikenard aralia racemosa A large woodland perennial 6' tall with showy flowers and big bunches of berries. Indians once dug up and ate the roots.

4. Arrow Arum peltandra virginica One of the most northern members of the Arum Family. Related to the Taro plant, one of the most important food plants in the world. Can grow in shallow water and does not need full sun. I like the tropical appearance of this plant.

o

I finally found the elusive carrion flower. It is instantly recognizable due to its large clusters of blue fruits. Each fruit contains 4 seeds. I will plant a bunch of seeds this spring. Prepare for smilax invasion !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here