Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wintertime poison ivy blues

Posted by dirtgirl So. Illinois (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 06 at 12:11

This little ditty goes out to all those ignorant folks I have met that insist you can't get poison ivy in the winter. Come on down, I'll meet you at the front door and make a believer out of all of you. The reason this is noteworthy at all is because this particular rash is easily the worst one I have had in the last 12 months and here it is, February. It runs from just to the right of my adam's apple to all the way around to the back of my neck on the left side, and is nothing but a patch of angry scarlet blisters. The last time this happened my mother, who has the dermal form of lupus, took one look and had an absolute fit thinking the disease had become active in me as well. I guess that's one reason to be thankful that it IS only ivy.

And all of this is mine to enjoy, compliments of my cat who sleeps draped across my neck every night of the year. I take him out every day when I walk my dog, and I have always known that this is taking a big gamble considering the sleeping arrangements. But he had just had his monthly bath and I didn't think anything of it. Of course, the temps have been in the 60s off and on for several weeks so I am sure there was probably 'juice' in all those leafless ivy thickets along the trails. Now my neck looks like I was attacked by a giant squid. I swear, the next person who asks if that's a hickie on my neck is going to receive a beating.

Dragging out the Rhuli gel and all of those assorted bottles of creams and gels and salves makes me wonder how I ever make it through the summer months!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wintertime poison ivy blues

DG: I think it may be easier to get in the winter because it is stealthy and looks like everything else out in the yard with no leaves on it. I have had this in the early spring by pulling up roots which I had no idea were poison ivy roots. DUH, I will never have trouble identifying that again!! My forearm reminded me of Popeye. At any rate, I have two things that helped me. I know you have had your share of poison ivy over the years, but maybe you have not tried these old remedies. Firstly, I live 10 miles from the ocean. Good old salt water tends to dry up the blisters. I realize this is a problem for you smack dab in the middle of the country, but maybe you could soak in a bath of salt water. I am not sure if the temperature of the North Atlantic helps or not, but it is d@mn cold. Secondly, the other thing that works wonders on blisters is alum. You find it in the spice aisle. It is used to make pickles crisp. I think it sucks the fluid out of the veggies. Maybe that is why it works to dry up blisters. They use this on burn patients......at least that is what I was told by someone that was a nurse for burn patients. I am not a nurse, but have used it and it seems to work pretty well. Again, mix it up with water and apply with a compress. Good luck to you. I do not envy you! Keep us posted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here