Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosambos

Living With Deer

nosambos
16 years ago

My city has a fair amount of green spaces which has apparently allowed a deer herd to thrive. Since my pond is an always open water source I have been entertained by their visits to my yard during this winter season. Last summer I had two does and two fawns which pretty much lived in my bushes. The backyards on my street are very large and they munched away but did no major damage to any particular yard (although I can forget about growing heuchera). In short, I like the deer but last night there were eight deer on my porch eating birdfood. The herd that I thought was 6-7 is actually 21 at last count. I suspect the hundreds of dollars I spent on native wildflowers will be for naught. I am willing to alter my vision of yard planting to accomodate the deer. At some point the herd will be too large no matter what I do. My question is... how have my fellow gardeners approached city officials to reduce the deer impact and but minimize the deer kill.

Comments (5)

• flatlander
    16 years ago

if you get the bureaucrats involved, it will take on a life of it's own.

• loris
    16 years ago

nosambos,

Unfortunately from what I can tell, at least around where I live, there's not a really humane way to control deer damage. Probably about 5 years ago I was ready to go complain about killing deer at a local meeting, but based on I've read since, I think culling is a necessary evil. In the area where the deer aren't controlled here, native plants have no chance, which means the animals that depend on them have no chance. The natural predators for deer are mostly gone. I know this may sound cruel, but letting the deer starve to death from lack of resources is also cruel.

I originally thought deer birth control could work, but from what I've read, it only works in an isolated situation such as an island, and even then dose control is difficult.

I still think deer are beautiful creatures, and can't help getting excited when I see one, but they are destroying the natural areas around here. It's not their fault of course, but unfortunately they'll be the ones to suffer for our mistakes.

There are plants that are deer resistant--from thorns, strong aromas, or fuzzy leaves, but from what I've heard, if the deer get hungry enough, they'll eat almost anything.

-- Lori

• pondwelr
    16 years ago

I, too, have a herd of deer living in the wilderness strip beyond our subdivision-owned pond. Mostly they are in my yard, because it is sheltered and full of trees and shrubs.
    Slowly, but surely, the herd is growing and destroying the shelter trees that I planted for them and other critters.
    Mostly the cedars. Also, fruit and rose. The racoons, possums and birds do without now because the deer eat and destroy everything. So beautiful, but such a mixed blessing. Most of the native shrubs and plants are gone.

We all know that too much of a good thing can be deadly.

Flatlander is right, of course. If you involve the local bureaucrats, your problem solving will be in the hands of others. Perhaps that is exactally what you and your neighbors need right now. Your first call should be to the local DNR agent.

I expect our subdivision meeting this Spring will have the same problem on the agenda.
    Pondy

• DYH
    16 years ago

I usually hang out on the Cottage Garden Forum but stopped by here to see some wildlife gardening (we have a NWF Certified Backyard and certified Monarch Waystation) garden.

I live in harmony with a large herd of deer. I have been experimenting in my very large outer garden (outside the fence) with deer tolerant perennials. Actually, my outer garden is deer tolerant, drought tolerant and it attracts butterflies.

In my gardening blog, I have several entries devoted to the topic, but I also mention what's deer tolerant among my other blogs.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: garden blog about deer, drought and butterflies

• billinpa
    16 years ago

allow well educated trained and responsible hunters to harvest a few deer.

We as humans have removed, to a great extent, all of the natural pedators. So what is left to keep the population in check? Us

Deer tollerant plantings dont do anything to change the major over population problems of "suburban" deer.

There is only one answer to your question. The only other alternative is to let them continue to grow in number, until either decease or starvation thins them out.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz