Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hgalindo_gw

Water Wiggler?

hgalindo
19 years ago

I'm setting up a garden in my small urban backyard. Got a birdhouse and a feeder up. I think I was a bit late on the birdhouse so it's unoccupied as yet, but I do have a pair of house finches who are voracious little eaters at my feeder every day and hopefully will attract more birds as time passes (it's only been a couple of weeks). I've now added a birdbath, but I want to be sure it's not ignored. I really don't want to hassle with a dripper or mister because the water supply is pretty far away, so I'm looking at this "Water Wiggler" that a lot of bird supply sites have. Has anyone tried this for attracting birds? Seems like it would scare them off more than attract them, but what do I know? I'm not a bird! :-)

Anybody have experience with these? Or should I just suck it up and get a little dripper. My bath is this one from Smith and Hawken, so whatever I do, it would have to work with that.

Thanks!

Comments (22)

• Elly_NJ
    19 years ago

You know, if only for its anti-West Nile possibilities, it looks like a great idea.

I have a regular old bird bath without moving water, and the birds come to it anyway.

• jillmcm
    19 years ago

I use a milk jug dripper so that electricity is not a problem. The water wiggler looks cool, but I don't know how long the batteries last, which would be the biggest potential drawback.

• Mommalama
    18 years ago

Did you decide on the Water Wiggler? I'm thinking about getting one and wondered if anyone's had luck with one.

• hgalindo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yep, I happened across one at Wild Birds Unlimited and snagged it. I feel mediocre about it. On one hand, it is doing a great job of keeping the water from getting stagnant and skeetery. On the other hand, it's not doing much to attract birds, but I think that's the fault of the bath's shape and nothing more. It's more of a big bird bath and all I get are little birds.

I would say, if you have a flat bird bath (like a large saucer for a pot), it would be great because you could put it off to the side and it would leave plenty of space for birds to splash around. But if you have a saucer shaped bath, it has to sit in the middle and birds can't do much more than sit on the edge and drink the water.

I think if you can find a way, the dripping jug approach is better. I just don't have a discreet way to do that because my garden is small and the bath is the focal point and is under bamboo, which wouldn't support a jug full of water.

• rembetika
    18 years ago

hi hgalindo--
    so please educate me, what't the dripping jug approach??

i was thinking about the water wiggler too, but i don't want to get it if the birds won't like it.

• WetBug
    18 years ago

Misquito dunks are sold for cheap. They kill mosquito larva and don't harm birds, frogs, fish, etc.

• hgalindo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jillmcm mentioned it above. I'm guessing you just put water in a milk jug, put a pinhole in it so that it just drips, and hang it over the bath. At least that's what I envision.

• dragonthoughts
    18 years ago

You don't NEED a drip. It just helps draw notice the of the birds. As long as you change the water once a day there shouldn't be any mosquito problems either. incubation of mosquito eggs is 2-7 days.

• dakster
    18 years ago

Here is something from Duncraft. I actuallu wish I had found this to use in a traditional bird bath before I bought the one that I have. Hmm, well, then again I can always have two baths, right?? ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Duncraft

• hgalindo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, that's cool. If only they'd make one that you could hook into your low voltage lighting system...

• summerstar
    15 years ago

I Googled Water Wiggler and this post showed up. It seems like the "wiggler" isn't getting good enough reviews here to merit the $39 price. It's made of plastic primarily and doesn't seem to be worth the high cost.

To me the Duncraft solar power fountain seems like the best deal, but I'm hesitant. We were talking to the owner of a large garden shop. He said he hasn't found a solar pump yet that's a good one. Most of those he purchased for his store were returned cause they didn't work. Sorry to be a wet blanket. I'd LOVE to find a quality solar pump similar to the Duncraft one. Anybody found one that's reliable??????????

• rvdave
    15 years ago

As to the question on battery life, two "D" Cells will last from 2 to 3 months.

Regarding the deep birdbath, the solution to that is simply a pile or two of small river rock in the birdbath. This will give the House Finch and other small birds a safe place to stand, bathe and drink from.

All in all, I've had very good luck with the Water Wiggler as it is the easiest way, without chemical, to solve the West Nile Virus issue and with my County already having had two deaths from WNV, I'll do anything to control it.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

I have sand, a couple rocks, a big mussel shell and a ceramic toad in my bird bath. When I am hosing out the bird bath, I can direct the sand to one side of the dish, making it beach like on one side and then deeper on the other.

• Ninapearl
    15 years ago

i bought the water wiggler at the local farm supply store for $14. the batteries last about a month. i don't think it was designed to actually attract birds. the purpose is to keep the water moving to avoid a mosquito problem.

• jay54
    15 years ago

I was looking for more information on these water wigglers. Specifically any more feedback on how long you can reasonably expect the batteries to last. Also, are they of any value for keeping the water from freezing up in moderately cold temperatures? (I assume that for hard freezes it would not work well at all.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Water wigglers

• mcg1103
    14 years ago

The water wigglers work ok. The battery life is very long. Mine uses two D batteries. I use rechargeable batteries. Solar is the best option (although expensive) to keep the water moving in your birdbath.

You can either use a solar insert into an existing birdbath or get one that is built in. The good ones that are built in have reservoir that holds extra water so you don't have to fill it as often.

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

I use water wigglers problem is they dont last more than two summers and I have to get another one. I also have a solar pump but they only work if the sun is out , bad deal. The batteries last a long time in the wiggler but the wigglers fail. I have went thru 4 or 5 already I need to keep the water moving to prevent mosquittoes . Do they work? Yes indeed they do as far as far as attracting birds to the fountain. My birdbath is about 2 ' in diam.

• vdougherty18
    8 years ago

my water wiggler seems to be scaring birds away! I have had it up for a few weeks and I see birds fly to it and veer away, what am I doing wrong?

• Debbie
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I bought one a week and a half ago and it's scarying mine. I've seen them headed that way but turn around. I'm out watching right now and a yellow finch approached. It circled around and landed on a branch nearby but still didnt go to birdbath. I'm hoping it will just take time but disappointed right now. I've added a second birdfeeder recently so now its two within a few feet of birdbath and many birds everywhere.

• catherinet
    6 years ago

So many things are produced that aren't necessary. I think what attracts birds the most to a bird bath is just the reflections off the still water.

• hummersteve
    6 years ago

Of course they use the thought that moving water attracts birds, maybe but thats just to get you to take the bait. Also I have found that using copper pennies works better and cheaper for keeping algae from the water, but I only use pennies made before 1980 as they have more copper in them. Also I had a little bit of 1/2" copper pipe and cut a little 3" piece to place the reservoir bottom of the birdbath.

I have a solar fountain for my bath but it only works when the sun is out bright so thats a joke. When will they make the solar fountain so it can charge up and run when the sun is not out like the solar lights along your walkway.

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting