Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

we have an aerie!!

dirtgirl
18 years ago

Big news, big news....hoo I am so excited!

Ever since my first sighting of an eagle over 6 years ago, I have had my hopes up that eventually they would regain their status as regulars in our area. Since that first appearance I have seen them more and more frequently and then came the big moment yesterday: we have a nest! I had just seen an eagle about a half mile from the location and was telling a neighbor about it when he asked me if I had seen the nest. I was skeptical at first, since the description of the location was very close to a large red tail nest that has been active for the last few years--surely it was the same one. I was coming home from a dental appointment yesterday and decided to make a quick detour and have a look for myself and sure enough, there it was. I can't believe it. There was a nest behind my parent's house the last few years, but it was far enough away that you really couldn't appreciate the hugeness of it. Not so with this one. It must be as big as the hood of a car! I can't say for certain since the light was not that good and I did not have my field glasses with me, but there seemed to be a head-shaped shadow poking up in the middle of it. At least a few others have indeed seen two birds in the area so this could be the year when eagles do finally make their official reproducing comeback. The nest is far enough off of the road that people harrassing them should not be too big a deal.

First the pileateds, then the eagles...what else is next??

Comments (6)