Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

reports of a snowy owl!

dirtgirl
17 years ago

Several reports have been called in to the local DNR of a snowy owl being spotted a few miles from here. Guess winter conditions up north are pretty bad this year to drive

a snowly owl this far south.

I would think it would be fairly easy to see now that the snow is all gone and everything is back to being a dull greyish brown-or at least that is the color of our mud, now that it's raining again.

Conservation officers have been cruising about trying to confirm the reports, and I am paying more attention myself when out and about.

Oddly enough, I saw a single large white bird sitting on the ground a small distance away from the interstate exit just about a week ago, and assumed it was a sick or injured snow goose. I remember wishing I had more time so that I could pull over and go check on it, and now I really regret it.We have had huge numbers of snow geese in the area but it's usually a bad sign if you see one sitting all alone byitself.

Comments (4)

• Konrad___far_north
    17 years ago

>>Guess winter conditions up north are pretty bad this year to drivea snowly owl this far south.aI think you're right, there is more snow here then usual this year and it seems the snowy owls have a hard time getting there meal, haven't seen them in weeks.
    Hope, you can see this magnificent bird at least one's in your life time!

For those, who hasn't seen these picture from some week's ago.
    Konrad

• vonyon
    17 years ago

Wow, awesome shots. Good luck to you DG. If anyone will see one, it will be you!! I never understand how people catch owls. I have NEVER seen one alive except as a silhouette in front of the car at night.

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Again, wonderful pics. What is it about the eyes of a bird of prey that just stun you for a moment?
    I have always liked looking into the eyes of barred owls because of their all-dark appearance, but the contrast of that deep golden yellow against the white plumage....it's so striking.
    For the record, Vonyon, I have seldom been able to walk up on an owl in the woods. I usually don't even know they are around until they are already swooping away to put some distance between us. THe times I have been close to them are the ones where I sat very very still and called them in. The first time this happened to me it was a big shock.I was bent over at the waist walking through knee deep water and shuffling my feet slowly to see what was living in the leaf litter. I had on a camo jacket and my face was not turned up and I guess the owl did not recognize me as a human. I was still bent over, staring at the water when I saw its reflection swoop in low and glide to a branch about 15 feet over my head. It was all I could do not to snap erect in surprise. Sometimes when I am alone in the woods, I mumble to myself, other times I might whistle or hum a song. Sometimes I am totally silent, but my favorite thing is to try and mimic animal noises and that day I had been hooting like a barred owl off and on for a few minutes. Kinda like singing in your car or talking to yourself in the bread aisle--things you do when no one else is around. Only I wasn't alone there in the creek and it was a shock when the owl showed up. And there I was stuck like a bent hairpin. I knew I had to eventually stand up but I knew the owl would see and probably hear any twitch. Luckily, by watching its reflection I noticed that every once it a while it would swivel its head around to the east to look at other things, and I would wait for that one moment and then raise my upper body bit by bit back to an upright position. I think now they call this Pilates.....it took a while of start and stop but I finally made it, but I was still looking down at the water. I have heard that even if you are well hidden from an animal, if they see your eyes it's all over. I waited again for the right moment, and then finally lifted my head to look directly at the bird while it was again turned east. When it spun back around and down to check on this strange lumpy hooting thing in the creek we were finally looking directly at each other. I could not believe those huge dark eyes, not at all like GHO eyes. Look right through you. Its head shifted a bit, and I don't know if it was my eyes or maybe a subtle twitch on my part but it had had enough of me. It flapped maybe three times and then dropped to a low glide off through the birches.
    I have only been this close to owls in a normal setting maybe three other times, and all three were responding to calls. But ahead of my experience in the creek I never knew it could work like that.

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

BEAUTIFUL picture!

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz