Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

urban legends and just plain ignorance...when to correct?

dirtgirl
16 years ago

I have to first apologize for being away so long. This forum has really been inactive lately but I mustn't point a finger since I haven't been adding much myself.

The last few weeks I have been getting a rash of e-mails about the usual DANGEROUS animals turning up here locally, and the stories are usually suspicious and formulaic, the animal attacking someone or being bravely fought off and killed. One such forward mentioned a cougar that was on a person's deck, supposedly salivating as it watched small children playing indoors. In every case I can usually turn up something on Snopes or elsewhere telling the real tale.

Sometimes the pictures are real, sometimes photoshopped, but the text that comes with them is usually blown way out of proportion or fabricated completely.

What makes it worse is that 99 % of the people who send these my way totally believe the stuff. There are enough misconceptions and fears about gators, cougars, snakes, and other 'deadly' animals without this junk being passed around. And what bothers me most is that our area of southern Illinois is currently undergoing a sort of transition as predators such as bobcats and an occasional cougar are making a return. THey sure won't be greeted with open arms as long as the baby-killer e-mails are still going around. My husband tells me that I should learn to be more cautious when I openly disagree with people who just don't know better, that it's better to be right BUT quiet and keep a friend than to always be corecting people. I know he is totally right, but when it comes to nature I just get exasperated that people are so gullible.

One of the e-mails that bothered me so badly was one where a deer hunter about 80 miles from here was in a deer stand and had a mountain lion pace back and forth under his tree, smelling him and trying to track him down ---that is HUNTING HIM. Of course, the (insert heavy sarcasm) besieged hunter did what any fearless manly hunter would do in such a situation, and blew the cat away . The photo with the text shows a man holding an incredibly huge dead cat in a bear hug and spreading a massive paw to demonstrate the incredible size of the animal.

THe actual story, I discovered , was a much different situation. According to Snopes Urban Legend pages, the cat was actually shot in the upper Northwest, (think it was Washington maybe?) by an experienced cat hunter who --get this--deliberately called the cat in either by baiting or a predator call ( I cannot recall which method.) There is a legal season there and this cat was an especially large individual. The Boone and Crockett club ( for gun-taken animals of large size) even mentioned it.

Not exactly the same story where the poor deer hunter was suddenly the hunted, but hey! I could introduce you all to at least a dozen of my neighbors right now who honestly think they see black panthers and mountain lions and chupacabres behind every fence post and every one of them barely escaped with their lives to hear them tell it. We don't need any more negative reinforcement.

I forwarded the snopes page right back to the friend who had sent me the St Louis cat hoax, and I have not heard from him since. I guess I need to learn a little temperance.

Or should I ???

Comments (9)

• maifleur01
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Start laughing at them. When you receive one of those group emails send it back to the group with a note that someone has already sent you that joke and you are not going to fall for it this time. You can reference the various Urban Legend sites at that time.

• lisa11310
    16 years ago

Thats a great idea. Laught at it and say "oh come on, you didn't REALLY believe that now did you?" then send the info.

• stoloniferous
    16 years ago

Enlighten them as gently as you can - but do enlighten them. Their ignorance is harmful.

• nosambos
    16 years ago

The name I prefer is ignoranus, one who is stupid and an a**hole. I was really ticked to read about the killing of the world's longest lived animal.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/oct/29/clam

• ebmeyer
    16 years ago

I share your frustration. What is the correct etiquette when it comes to dumb emails? Not only when those involding wildlife, but urban legends in general? I sometimes ignore the silly ones, but when it comes to biology, nature or wildlife I can't sit idly by. I just can't. So now I look up the topic on Snopes or urbanlegends.com and reply by gently pointing out the myth and giving a URL that corrects it.

As I see it, if the sender is using electronic mail to promulgate erroneous and harmful information, then we are duty bound to use that same vehicle set the record straight. Frankly, I don't care if anyone gets mad at me for it.

• decolady01
    16 years ago

I usually do a Reply All with a link to the snopes page that debunks it. As far as I know, only one person has gotten angry about that, but at least I don't get junk e-mail from them anymore.

Becky

• azlar
    16 years ago

Fortunately there's only a (large)handful of idiots out there who actually believe this stuff. They're the one's who blast it out to their e-mail friend-list, who generally ignore it.

A 'reply all' message may embarrass the original sender, but it also leads to a form of spam that clogs email servers and can bog down services. Rather than one targeted message, you just sent it to 50+ people who now have to spend time to read/delete/ignore the missive.

Best tactic is to send a single reply with a link to the Snopes site and tell them they're an idiot. Eventually they will get the message and you won't be compounding the proliferation of junk e-mail

• decolady01
    16 years ago

"Fortunately there's only a (large) handful of idiots out there who actually believe this stuff. They're the one's who blast it out to their e-mail friend-list, who generally ignore it."

Well, in my case the so-called handful is my uncle and all his cronies. All are 80+ and they send and resend the same message to everyone in their e-mail lists. If one of them sends it, I probably get it at least a couple a dozen time from others in the group. The Reply All is the only way to stop them. :-)

• artsygirl89
    16 years ago

I hit reply and paste the snopes link, and then hit send. Some people don't know about snopes, but I will send it everytime, otherwise it just doesn't stop. My sister will now ask(as its her friend that sends us these stupid emails) "Can you check if this is real?" and I will, would rather that than believing some fable.

I haven't gotten any of this garbage in a while. Some of them are dangerous misinformation, like a coughing technique that could "save you" if you were having a heart attack. Its a real technique, but is rarely used (since aspirin and getting help ASAP is a LOT more effective) and only if it had been shown properly to you by a medical professional. Otherwise, this technique this email described could actually kill you if you were in fact having heart trouble. My father died from a cardiac arrest, so someone forwarding dangerous BS information like this REALLY ticked me off, and in this case I said, "This is a dangerous fallacy to be passing around" and then a link to the snopes site. If they're a friend you don't have to call them an idiot, but I would show them the real information whether they get offended or not, in some cases, ignorance can be dangerous.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH