Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to safely repell Geese on my front yard?

Posted by lot67 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 15, 09 at 14:37

Hi everyone,

I live near a pond and we have Geese that walks over to my yard and eats my grass. Sometimes I'll come home from work and there will be 20-25 of them. I read online that Methyl-Anthranilate is the key ingredient to repell geese. Does this work??

http://www.yardlover.com/products.php?catID=10&gclid=COqCr_qi35gCFQFvGgod0CUydg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to safely repell Geese on my front yard?

Would this work?

Here is a link that might be useful: spray

o

Plant a shoreline buffer, Grow tall grass and wild flowers. Geese like short grass, its easy for them to walk on.

If you grow taller flowers and grasses (a buffer) around your pond, the geese will go someplace else.

A good buffer description...

Here is a link that might be useful: shoreline buffer

o

lot57, you're on the right track with the methyl anthranilate. I've observed great success with Canada geese in parks, campuses, and golf courses. Wait until you smell it! Yummy.

o

I'd much rather change the height of the vegetation than smell that crud.

I've had quite a bit of success with simple vegetation changes.

Geese are grazing birds that prefer short, green
grass or other herbaceous vegetation for feeding.
Well-manicured lawns and newly seeded areas
provide excellent habitat for these grazing birds.
Wherever possible, let grass or other vegetation
grow to its full height (10-14") around water
bodies so that it is less attractive to geese. In
time, most geese will stop feeding in those
areas. Instead of grass, plant or encourage
native shrubs or less palatable ground cover,
such as ivy, pachysandra, or junipers, around the
shoreline of ponds and along walkways where
geese are a problem.

You can also plant grass species that are less
palatable to geese, including some that go
dormant in the winter. Geese tend to prefer
Kentucky bluegrass, and are less attracted to
fescue. Also, minimize use of lawn fertilizers to
reduce the nutritional value of grass to the birds.

Here is a link that might be useful: problem geese

o

Why would you want to get rid of Canadian geese? Okay, they poop a lot but really... you are quite blessed to have them. They will migrate. Get over it. Try joepyeweeds advice, and in the meantime, enjoy these birds. Do not use anything poisonous, just give them a reason to go elswhere.
I bet u live in a nice subdivsion with a man made pond?

o

Novice, you've obviously never visited or lived in an area where proximity to geese can be a nightmare. For many reasons, it's important to 'dis-invite' geese from a back yard. Another fact is that they will often decide not to migrate if the environment is a good one.

Our original poster does not want to 'get rid' the geese; he simply wishes to repel them (or alter the habitat). The product he mentions is not a poison, but a food additive you've no doubt ingested yourself many times. The flavor is repellent to geese.

o

Yes geese can become residents if the habitat suits them. They wil not migrate and become full time residents.

We used to hunt them and had 2 differnt seasons. One timely for the migratory birds. And another longer more liberal season for the residents. The residents out weight the migratory birds but more then 50%. The get to the point where they are a major pest to many people including homeowners, golf courses and water ways. The excess nutrients can destroy a ponds eco system. Not a problem if they visit and leave but a major problem if they decide to stay. Of course we have no one to blame but ourselves cutting down major tracts of timber for housing devolopm,ents which have to have rain water ponds. All the lush grass and water is exactly what they look for.

o

yes, that remark by novice was rather unnecessarily snide, I agree.

I live in Maine, and would never dream of poisoning wildlife, but the beautiful canadian geese eating my vegetable garden (munched it all flat to the ground in 2 days) must be averted somehow. It's a rural area with a nice pond nearby plus a marsh, but juicy cabbages were irresistable to them I guess. The geese tracks are how I knew the culprit.

I tried putting the scent of human on my garden, as well as "liquid fence" which is nontoxic but stinks terribly of garlic and geranium and cinnamon, etc... but nothing worked.
Maybe I will try that stuff mentioned?

o

Since this thread has emerged again, I'll comment on what worked (quickly and permanently) at a lake on a campus in my City. Canada geese, over the years, had begun to take over the area by the hundreds. Sidewalks, picnic tables and pretty much the whole grassy area in proximity to the lake would become filthy, noisy, and a true health issue.

They tried lots of things, including a little, remote controlled truck that they disguised as a dog, lol! Anyway, the only thing that worked was a combination of the methyl-anthranilate repellent AND a couple of floating alligator decoys. After a few months, they stopped applying the M-A and the decoys continue to do the job.

To this day, the lake has a few resident ducks and an occasional visit by a few geese. Perfect.

o

• Posted by yjtj 5/6 NY (My Page) on
    Fri, May 22, 09 at 1:02

I have heard grape soda repels them , its the smell i guess.

o

Grow some tall border plants or put up a short fence. I live near a man-made wetland and Geese hang around my yard all the time, but when the reeds grows too long the geese stop coming. The reason for this is that they need space to take off. If you put things around the yard that block their escape, they'll stop coming.

Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here