Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

question for those with flying squirrels

dirtgirl
18 years ago

Anyone noticed any change in numbers? Still seeing/hearing them regularly? It occurred to me recently that I don't recall the last time I heard the flying squirrels here. I would guess it would have to be way back in the early summer, but definitely nothing in the last 6 months. On most still nights, especially winter nights that are mild like the majority of ours have been, you can go out into the dark and within a few minutes hear them twittering and piping. A good barred owl call really stirs them up, and lately there is absolutely no response to this stimulus either. We had an excellent year for acorns and other foodstuffs...I am wondering why they would vanish like this. Then it may have something to do with the absolute horrible year the hickories had in '04. There were a few acorns but I never did find a SINGLE hickory nut.

I have also been checking the bird boxes, which may have up to three or four to a box during the day. Nothing.

Maybe we are simply having a fluctuation, much like what happened with the carolina wrens a few years back.

Time will tell.

Comments (3)