Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small tree to attract wildlife

Posted by kitteh 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 17:12

We have room for two small tress (under 12') in two different places in the yard. I'd like to choose types that would be good for wildlife. I was thinking one should be evergreen, as we don't have any except a few small bushes planted last year, if there are any of decent sizes that aren't too expensive. Is there any that you recommend to get native birds?

There are not many large trees around now, I think they get chopped because everyone is too lazy to rake.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small tree to attract wildlife

Knowing where in zone 6 you are can help nail things down.

A serviceberry of one sort or another is native to just about every zone 6 in North America and it feeds native birds, squirrels and chipmunks. The hybrid Amelanchier x grandiflora is available everywhere and is quite nice.

tj

o

I'm in Ohio.

The Amelanchier x grandiflora looks good but would get too large, it could be taller than 12' but the spread can't get too big.

o

How about a japanese dogwood - Kosoua - or a regular dogwood that you keep pruned? Not everygreen but birds do like thier "berries".
I don't know of an evergreen that has a fruit that birds could eat. But, we always had nests in our compact/spiral alberta spruce trees.
My dad has canadian hemlocks in his yard - and birds love to go in there to nest or for shelter. BUT, they get pretty huge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here