Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which sunflowers are most attractive to birds?

Posted by irish_rose_grower z7 LI NY (maureenpm00@hotmail.com) on
Wed, Feb 1, 06 at 19:44

I'm trying to make my yard very attractive to the birds and want to grow sunflowers this year. I've heard that Velvet Queen is very attractive to birds and will be ordering those seeds.

I know the seeds with the black oil are very attractive to birds, but what are the names of the sunflowers that have seeds with black oil? And who is a good seed source for sunflowers?

Thanks,
Maureen

Rita, are you still on this forum?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which sunflowers are most attractive to birds?

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 2, 06 at 9:33

I'm not sure which sunflower is most attractive to birds, but I prefer to grow the varieties with smaller seed heads. They are less likely to flop over, and they tend to look better, and last longer.

o

Ericwi - thank you responding. I think I may try a few different types.

maureen

o

Maureen, do you have bird feeders in your yard? I usually just transplant the sunflower seedlings that sprout under my bird feeders - that way I know they're varieties that the birds will enjoy. The goldfinches love 'em.

o

I didn't have much luck with birds eating my sunflowers this year, but the goldfinches loved the cosmos that I planted. I'm trying several different sunflowers this year along with a lot more cosmos.

Ginger

o

I have a related question: Do all sunflowers have seeds that are attractive to/good food for birds? Or just the ones that say "great for seed production!" or "great for eating!" on the seed packet?

And what about the fluffy, teddy-bear type sunflowers, that don't have a big central seedhead? Are they still bird-friendly?

I'd like to try some different types of sunflowers this year, but I'm trying only to add only things that will have some direct benefit for birds/wildlife.

o

I plant like 6 different kinds in my kitchen garden.The yellow finches eat seed right out of the flower

o

I've always liked a variety called Autumn Beauty, Mixed Colors. They grow 5 or 6 feet tall, are attractive, and the birds go for the seeds. Plant some zinnias too, they are easy to grow and attractive to seed eating birds.

o

I feed my birds Black Oil Sunflower...They love them.

Not sure if you can find a package of seeds for them though.

I always get sprouts around the bottom of my feeders. But my Husband pulls them out, so I have never had a chance to see what the flower looks like. He pulls them out because he is afraid that the flowers will give our neighbors cats a place to hide and wait for an unsuspecting bird..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here