Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bird? Sounds at night?

Posted by ellix augusta ga (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 06 at 20:41

I live at the edge of a 2-3 acre pond with woods on three sides--in a neighorhood. The last week I have been hearing these bird sounds as soon as it is dusk. Any time I wake up at tight I also hear them so it is anytime at dark. Loud sounds-they seem to echo and they come from the tall trees. Almost screeching sounds. I really don't know how to describe them in words. But they are LOUD. I hear them inside with all the windows shut. What are they???????????????????????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bird? Sounds at night?

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 28, 06 at 20:47

It could be owls. They like to hunt at night. I'm not sure what species, though.

o

• Posted by ellix augusta ga (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 1, 06 at 6:40

T thought owls had a hooting sound-and wouldn't they make these sounds all year long-not just in the early spring? thanks, molly

o

Go to enature.com and listen to screech owls, barred owls, black crowned and yellow crowned night herons - you might hear your bird on that site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Enature

o

Are they redwinged black birds or starlings? They can make alot of noise, just as they are roosting.

o

Wed, Mar 1, 06 at 19:09

Thanks so much for the site I am on my way there after this mess. Do starlings and redwings make noise all night long? I have not seen any at my feeders by day. This began about 10 days ago. I moved here last summer so have not experienced this time of year here before. Thanks, molly

o

It goes on all night long??? Hmmmm....Maybe it's a mockingbird? How about frogs?

o

I am thinking tree frogs...?

o

I don't think tree frogs (at least around here) sing at night. But there are lots of others that do. Some sound like a woman screaming! I have a little water garden, and so far, the only one that sings at night (in summer) is the green frog, and he sounds more like the plunk of a banjo. :)

o

Catherine, the "woman screaming" could be a fox - they can make simply horrid sounds.

Here is a link that might be useful: fox sounds

o

Thu, Mar 2, 06 at 6:49

Not a mokingbird, I do have them and know what they sound like. Don't think a fox as it comes from the tops of the very tall trees. I know tree frogs are in trees but can't believe they could possibly be that loud. Yes all night- as soon as it is dusk it begins and any time throught the night I wake I hear them. Right up until it's light out-then not a sound. I got onto that sight with the sounds- but I had a problem getting a sound. Today I may have time to get that worked out. It looks like a great site, thanks again. I'm sure I have all kinds of other frogs here, I moved here last summer and could go out at night and the sounds of frogs coming fron the big pond(about 150 feet away) was unreal and very very loud but this is different. Sometimes I think I can locate it to a huge pine tree (and I do mean tall). I have seen one of those large woodpeckers in it a (pifilated) spelled wrong for sure. Would love for this to be him and a mate but really don't think so not at night. Thanks, molly

o

Cicadas?

o

I'm up in Indiana, and I'm sure you guys have different animals/insects in Georgia that I'm unfamiliar with.
Can you describe the sound a little more? Does it sound like 1 or more? I have a CD of night sounds, and I could try to figure it out for you.
I love a good mystery! :)

o

Fri, Mar 3, 06 at 19:35

I wish I could describe it. It is very loud and sharp. Very quick and constant. I was at Wild Birds Unlimted this evening and tried to describe it to them. They are thinking tree frogs as some of the readers thought. It is just hard for me to think they could actually be a frog. If they are then they will be in my pond soon laying eggs and I will see them. I do at least know what toads and bullfrogs sound like and it is nothing like either. I have never heard(that I know of) treefrogs or spring peepers. I am wondering if it may be a night heron or such like bird?

o

Here's a link to some frog sounds. See if you can pick one out that sounds like yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: frog sounds

o
Georgia frogs

Actually, I found a site for frogs from Georgia. Check it out too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia frogs

o

Mon, Mar 6, 06 at 21:36

I have been trying to get the sound to work from enature. Has anyone had problems with that? I e-mailed them but no luck so far. I am sure I would be able to hear it if I could get into thier sound. I checked out the other site for frogs --good sound just didn't hear my sound. thanks, molly

o

Mon, Mar 13, 06 at 20:37

Well now the sounds have gone! Sure something was looking for a mate. Maybe result will be in my pond if it was treefrogs. Still think it was to loud for them as I hear all kinds of other frogs. But I am new in this area and have a lot to learn. Thanks for all the help.

o

Let us know if you ever figure it out! I remember for several summers, I could hear something trilling very loudly out in the woods. Couldn't figure out what it was. Then one day, I was sitting on our deck, and thought there was a squirrel stuck in the attic, making the noise. I finally found a tree frog sitting up on the gutter. We have fun talking back and forth with them. They're loud little buggers.

o

Well, the sounds of the little green tree frogs are VERY loud and very obnoxious to some people. That is totally what I think you have been hearing. They sound very un-frog-like and more like a squawking bird of some kind. 'Trilling' is not the word I would use, either.

Most people think, at first, that they are some kind of crazy duck.

o

Fri, Mar 17, 06 at 19:22

I keep looking in the pond for frog eggs. But still --it was so loud that it's hard to believe it could have been frogs. I hear tons of different frogs nightly (as I live near a real pond too) and don't mind them at all. I remember the first day I heard it--as I was driving into the driveway. I went all around looking in the trees for this (bird).

o

Sounds like green tree frogs still. They are VERY loud during the day and night. Can be heard squawking from a long distance, too. If nearby, they will turn a mild person to violent acts to get them to shut up.

o

How about a screech owl?

o

Maybe it is a whip-poor-will go to the following sight and click on whip-poor-will to see if this is what you heard. Try them all.

http://www.nhest.org/birdguid.html

o

Its frogs. They are loud.

o

Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 8:08

Well I have not heard that sound since. It has been two years now. I never did figure out what it was.
I have a large pond down the hill and since have installed a goldfish pond up close to my house - right outside my bedroom. I have heard every strange sound from the frogs I could imagine. I have so many types of frogs, of course the bull frogs,and what sounds like many types of dogs barking, singing, you name it. But I have not heard that same sound from before.

o

• Posted by rbrady 5/Eastern Ia (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 18:20

I wonder if it could have been a raccoon? My mother once told me they make many different sounds, some very loud and sscream-like.

Rhonda

o

Fri, Jun 27, 08 at 8:08

Rhonda, I do indeed have raccoons but have never heard these sounds since that spring. I have coons, possums, fox, and green heron.

o

i live in dallas. my friend and i have been investigating a sound that takes place at night, also. these are our clues *sound is very loud, like the loudness of a
cicada
*sound is somewhat rhythmic. the sound has two
syllables.
*sound coming from the same group, of high cut
trees, in a residential neighborhood
*we can never see any sort of animal, bird or
insect.
we have seen a couple of bats flipping around in the night sky, right around the lot that these sounds are coming from.I cannot tell you how crazy this curiousity is making us. we have to be writing of the same sounds, don't you think?

o

The last couple of nights when walking our dogs we have heard a sound coming from the tall trees.... It is a scary screem... The dogs stop, ears go up and they look but they don't seem scared, I was!
We have woods and wet lands all around us, and we have tons!!! of frogs, toads etc... this is not a tree toad sound. The only sound that I have been able to find that is even close is the sound that a Red Tailed hawk makes... a scream.. but Im not sure if this is what is making it.... have a listen and see what you think.
http://www.nhest.org/birdguid.html#rtail

Here is a link that might be useful: A Brief Guide to Common Birds

o

Ok, it is November. Have not heard the noises coming from high within the trees. I am speaking of a noise loud and similar in sound of the cicada. The noise is rhythmic. It would start at dark and go through the night. The sounds fell off around late August. Never even got a clue as to what animal this sound came from.

o

I think it might have been spring peepers, a kind of small frog. I have heard these sounds all night long around my pond this spring (this being the first spring we've lived here), and thought it was birds as well. After researching it tonight and listening to lots of birds that DON'T make that sound, I turned to the frogs and found that it is spring peepers. You are right . . . they are LOUD! And they to call all night long. I like the sound, eerie though it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring peeper

o

Ellix/Augusta, GA...I am sure what you heard was an American Robin...follow the link and give it a listen. It's not a rough screech, just a high pitched screech that echos loudly in the quiet night. I hear these birds in full activity between 11:00 pm and 8:00 or 9:00 am. Though they do continue in daylight hours, they are much more active in the late night/early morning. I'm not sure why but one theory that I found online is that some groups of birds actually choose to communicate at night in areas that are growing in population and daytime noise pollution. The quite night offers less competition!

I live in Fort Mill, SC...just a few miles south of Charlotte, NC. I am in a wooded area very near Lake Wylie and the area is experiencing rapid growth. I researched the sounds of birds that typically sing at night like the Whippoorwill and the Carolina Wren but the sounds weren't even close.

Based on the above theory, I started listening to daytime birds that are typical for this area and the American Robin is definately the culprit here.

Let me know what you think after listening...

Here is a link that might be useful: enature/American Robin

o

Ellix, is it your bird please come and get it. It came to Lawrenceville now, Sever rd . I saw that bird, it is grey
almost white color and as large as the hawk, very strong wing flap, the sound is tsk aw aw, tsk aw aw.. very much in same frequecy. For weeks I though some alarm went off because it does not stop, and she is on those tree and
yelling fo hours now.
I cant sleep because she's next to my window every night for 3 weeks now. I may call the cops.

o

And what are the cops supposed to do?

o

Jailbird! PJ

o
help!!! re: bird? sounds at night?

If it isn't too late to join this conversation, I heard a scream from inside the house and went out to see what was going on this evening . . . finally got a flashlight and completely searched through a large oak in our front yard . . . DANG, this thing is driving me crazy and I finally decided it must be some kind of bird. I listened to the red-tailed hawk link and IT IS CLOSE, but not nearly as "scary" sounding or as loud as whatever this is in our yard. Sorry to be blunt, but it is pissing me off . . . I have no idea what it is, and secondly, I want it to go away! Needless to say, none of the owl sounds are even close . . .

o
help #2 -- re: bird? sounds at night?

By the way, that American Robin sound wasn't even scary, it just sounded pretty . . . THAT I could handle. This is a loud screech or scream, sounds like a VERY LOUD Cicada . . . but it isn't a Cicada or June bug. To be honest, at first I thought it was someone's burglar alarm or something similar . . . don't laugh, it's just very loud and annoying. ALSO, it isn't like a multiple-syllable or multi-tone sound. It's just one loud scary "squawk" or whatever and it sounds like a woman or child screaming almost!

o

Never even got a clue as to what animal this sound came from.

Did you read this thread? And you still don't have a clue?

hmmmm.....

ps. (its frogs)

o

I also live in a wooded area with a lake in close proximity and a couple of months ago I heard terrible screams late at night, all my windows were closed but the sounds was still clear, initially I thought it was one of my kids having a bad dream, it sounded like a child screaming. After checking throughout my house I pinpointed the sound coming from outside it set off my sensor lights, dogs were barking up a storm. Wrote it off as a possible coyote kill or even maybe a deer birth and I never heard it again, until last night...

In the early morning 1-3, was the shrill/screech sounds of something big and calling from the trees, I can't believe how unbeleivably loud and scary they sounded. Drove my dogs nuts, my mastiff was ready to go at it. I'm sure it's a bird of some sort, at least two cause as soon after the dogs started barking the cries subsided and then started again from a distance. Pretty sure not a red tail hawk or crow or frogs, heard the sound byes and no match. Any suggestions? Next time I'll try to record it.

o

Great horned owls are known for hair raising shrieks. Perhaps that's what you heard earthismyplayground.

o

wow. i live in a tree lined suburb and last night was awakened by an unearthly screeching/screaming. looked out the window and neighbor was pointing a flashlight up in a tree. i haven't talked to him today to find out what he saw, but the sound sure sounded like those fighting fox/cottontail sounds referred to in earlier post. WEIRD. something was being attacked or upset. disturbing, right here in River City. does a screech owl make those kind of sounds??

o

we have this same thing happening in our lake community in South Jersey -- it's almost a metallic twang or sharp screech and it moves fast through the trees -- I could track it moving through the neighborhood. It had our dog going nuts for an hour last night. Was a really sharp, noise with almost an echo afterwords... I listened to all the sound bytes I could find on animals/birds/frogs, etc... and have yet to find out what it is.. it has my neighbor extremely freaked out.

o

FROGS. of the tree variety.

o

A woman asked me yesterday if I knew what kind of bird crows at night? Maybe someone has a suggestion. She said that around midnight it crows exactly 18 times right outside her window and wakes her up, then 15 minutes later from further away another bird or the same one, crows again exactly 18 times and that is it. This has been happening every night. I asked her if really was a crowing sound and she was sure of the sound.

o

I am sure I'm being haunted by the same sound that haunted ellix down in Georgia for a while. I live in Wisconsin, next to a small river, with treed banks.

The assertive declaration of "tree frog" is inviting, but for one problem: It's not that. I've searched the internet for sounds of tree frogs, spring peepers, other frogs, mockingbirds, screech owls. It's none of them. It's not a whistle, not a song, not a prolonged call of any sort. It's a quick, sharp, angry, piercing screech. Almost desperate sounding. It persists all night. I can't sleep. It could be a red-tailed hawk--I've seen them in my yard--but I haven't yet heard an sound clip of that big bird that's a clincher, just cries that are vaguely similar, closer than any of the other suggestions.

o

ellix, I have this same problem/bird! This is NOT a frog and NOT an owl. I know what these sound like and it,s not these. I have no idea what kind of bird it is but, it is some kind of crazy bird. I too cannot describe that sound as i have never heard it during the day. Itold my mother it was almost like a yell. It starts at night and continues until morning. My animal took about a week break but now is back. I just wanted you to know that I too have this animal. I live in Louisville, Ky just so you know what area I'm in. Jamie

o

I know what it is..it IS an owl. They are Barn Owls and when they see a predator (I.e.) the lady with the dogs, they SCREAM like mad at you. Scares the HELL out of whomever is walking. I work at an airport where we have a Mom and 4 babies (or did until we boarded up the spot in the hangar they were nesting) Don't worry the babies were fledged already. But it was a funny thing to NOT tell any 'newbies' about the owls. You would walk in between hangars at night, and they would sit on top of them and then SCREAM at you. Most people would jump a mile out of their skin over it. Always good for a laugh....lol...I remember one night I had 3 babies sitting on top of the Hangar and I froze. They looked at me and bobbed and twisted and bobbed trying to figure out WHY i was just standing there. They decided THREE screams would get me to move. It worked. LOL it was LOUD and sounded like someone getting killed. lol. Just barn owls. It makes perfect sense, because the nature of these comments seem to be from all over the US and this is one bird who is common throughout. This audio is not a very good sample but I'd bet money that's what it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: You tube

o

imgu89 is close, but it's not a barn owl. It's a juvenile Great Horned Owl. We all know the sound of the adult Great Horned Owl's hoot, but as juveniles, they let out a piercing shreik as they beg for food all through the night. It sounds exactly like a cross between a parrot and a red-tailed hawk screech. Super loud and carries all the way across the farmer's fields behind our house--no way it's a frog. This spring we would have a pair of adult Great Horned owls who would frequently perch on our roof and hoot to each other. It only makes sense that they were nesting in a nearby tree. We are now lucky enough to have a baby in the trees behind our pond and the sound is unmistakable. There is more information here:

http://www.birdwatchersgeneralstore.com/owl.htm

Here is a picture of one of the awkward little guys (or gals):

http://www.douglloydphotography.com/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_9698/horned~owl~618.jpg

Here's a sound file--scroll down to "Recordings" and click the middle one.

http://owling.com/Great_Horned.htm

Here's another one--scroll down to "Great Horned Owl" and click the second one that says "Owlet calling for food."

http://www.owlpages.com/sounds.php

Ours is a little lower than both of these and sounds more like a parrot screech than a red-tailed hawk screech, but that's what it is for sure.

Mystery solved. Count yourselves lucky if you hear it that you have these magnificent birds reproducing in your neighborhood (unless you're a mouse).

o

I'm not going to give imgu partial credit. The situations were completely different, and even a quick read of the thread should have made that obvious. How many times in this thread was someone "sure" what it was, only to be wrong.

I wish I'd been able to place that bet before chauch chimed in, because DING DING DING! That's it! That's exactly it! This is the bird that won't shut up, that's been keeping me up all night long. Every 20-30 seconds all night long, dusk to dawn, with occasional breaks (for a delivered meal, I now assume).

Thank you, chauch. And I appreciate the pep talk, too. Great Horned Owls are majestic birds, and it's cool they're nesting back in our trees. It *IS* a slight consolation to my insomnia, and I'll try to bear that in mind when my head hits the pillow tonight.

o

Would anyone know what bird makes a high-pitched cooing sound at night? It sounds similar to a dove, but higher-pitched and only at night. We have the Chuck Will's Widow and I know how they sound, but this one has me stumped. We live in Middle TN and not near water.

o

Sounds like it might be a Screech Owl. They have a soft cooing call -- often also described like a low whinny.

o

I'm betting its a Barred Owl, they sound almost like a monkey shrieking. Will scare the heck out of you, and they will call back and forth all night. There huge Owls and rarly seen.

o

I'll bet what a lot of people are hearing is the screeching of the common nighthawk. They fly around at night after insects with a constant screech every five or six seconds (described as sounding like PEEANT). If it's coming from the same spot in a tree, it could be owlets. If it's moving around, it's probably nighthawks. And the mournful "cooing" noises, I agree, are likely screech owls.

More info on them hear: http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/387/_/Common_Nighthawk.aspx

They can eat up to around 500 mosquitoes a day, so I don't have a problem with them.

o

Barn Owls are the only owls that scream. Everything else is a rationalization.

Screech Owls "whinny".

Barred Owls hoot "Whoo cooks for you" and make a funny cackle occasionally. But not a scream.

Great Horned Owls hoot, and their babies make a different call, but it cannot be reasonably termed a 'scream.'

o

Its here, sounds like nothing i've ever heard, and i've spent many nights outside in the wilderness. The dogs keep going nuts, and i can't get to sleep. If i had to guess i'd say some kind of Owl, or large bird. Highly doubt its a frog.(but i could be wrong)

o

I'm in Maryland. I've seen the shadow of the bird. It's kind of big and dark (hard to tell b/c it's dark outside) I've listened to many of the sounds and the closest I can come up^ with so far is from the Hawk family. The sound is HORRIBLE.

sounds like death or something from hell~~>Awwwk (high pitch) like somebody is dying. (a single yell at a time) starts here around 9pm, stops in the middle of the morning

sits at one tree for a good while then sometimes (FLIES) to some-one else yard and screech like the cry of death (heheh)

mostly like back yards (wooded areas I guess) but I wish I knew for certain, exactly what kind of bird it is

Was happy when it finally went away when it started getting cold and praying it don't come back this year

o

Contrary to the one previous post, some sources state that young Great Horned Owls do make a scream type of sound.

Here is a link that might be useful: Owl pages-GHO

o

I think the first post is a Whip-poor-will

Here is a link that might be useful: Whip-poor-will

o

Try "common nighthawk." We've had a bird making a repetitive "peeet" sound at night. Obviously a bird as it was in a tree in the front yard, then the sound moved to behind the house out in the trees around a pond. Cool and eerie. We live in the KC Metro, but I love when nature happily intrudes. The birds are all over the US. If it's what I've been hearing, there's NO WAY it's a frog or an owl (unforgettable sound) or a fox. Anyway, listen and see what you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: enature.com

o

I think woodcocks sound like nighthawks too.

o

I have not been able to sleep for weeks now. I just found this thread and it is definitely the common night hawk Chordeiles minor.I have at least 10 of them in my backyard. it's a constant screeching sound about 3 seconds apart from dusk to dawn non-stop. Anyone know anyway to get them to make their home somewhere else for the summer?

o

Hi all. I know some people mentioned tree frogs. we have a strange bird-like sound that we've been hearing whenever it's warm at night for years and finally realized tonight that it is in fact a gray tree frog! sounds just like in the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxMnoTuegAU

for the longest time we thought it must be some kind of bird but it turns out these little frogs come out when it's about 60 degrees and have a mating season that lasts from april-july.

let me know if this is the case for anyone else and otherwise good luck solving all your night-sound mysteries!

k

o

I, too, hear a young girl scream, "agggh" for about one second or "one Mississippi", every 5-6 Mississippi(s) as soon as it gets dark and all night long. At first I thought it was a neighbor's child but it's not that nor an owl, gray frog, fos, blackhawk,and I doubt a cicada because it moves as I approach the sound. As I walk slowly it stops for about 30 seconds or half a minute and starts in a new location. I am near wetlands, marshes in NJ shore area with a large yard starting with a trex deck,concrete court, to fenced=in pool and all this surrounded by grass with 7 small trees around and surrounded by 6 foot fence, Neighbors have grass.I start at deck and it sounds like straight across the pool, when I'm at opposite side it has moved to right, left or deck and I and my son see nothing flying, hopping or running but it is dark. My part husky dog could not care less but it's annoying. This just atarted about a week now and I've beeen here two years, Anyone have any way of catching an unknown target?

o

I too hear a noise! but only at night. I'm hearing it as I type this now and I ONLY hear it during the spring and summer time. The first time I heard it was last summer after coming home late one night - and I've been living at my current home for about 20 years now.
I have no idea what it is, I can't see anything even when I try to look I don't see anything!
I'll hear it in one spot and listen for it again - then all of a sudden it'll be in another spot and louder. And don't get me wrong, It's loud in the first place and it sounds like a shrilling bird caw or something that's roaming around late at night. My girlfriend described it as sounding kind of like a hawk caw (obviously its not a hawk)

BUT, now as I am typing this I searched youtube and I found out what the noise is!

It is the noise of a Red Fox!! I'm not sure if this is what some of you where referring to as the same noise, but this is what I hear at night..

check it out!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVLvw-LhWyQ

o

Hello, I hear something every night when it gets dark. I posted a link, (hope it works). This is the noise it makes every night, does anyone know what it is?????

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird at Night

o

This person is 100% right! I found this thread because I hear the same thing. And 'their' sound clips are dead on.

-- -- -- -- --\
* Posted by chauch (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 21, 09 at 0:20

imgu89 is close, but it's not a barn owl. It's a juvenile Great Horned Owl. We all know the sound of the adult Great Horned Owl's hoot, but as juveniles, they let out a piercing shreik as they beg for food all through the night. It sounds exactly like a cross between a parrot and a red-tailed hawk screech. Super loud and carries all the way across the farmer's fields behind our house--no way it's a frog. This spring we would have a pair of adult Great Horned owls who would frequently perch on our roof and hoot to each other. It only makes sense that they were nesting in a nearby tree. We are now lucky enough to have a baby in the trees behind our pond and the sound is unmistakable. There is more information here:

http://www.douglloydphotography.com/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_9698/horned~owl~618.jpg

Here's another one--scroll down to "Great Horned Owl" and click the second one that says "Owlet calling for food."

Ours is a little lower than both of these and sounds more like a parrot screech than a red-tailed hawk screech, but that's what it is for sure.

Mystery solved. Count yourselves lucky if you hear it that you have these magnificent birds reproducing in your neighborhood (unless you're a mouse).

o

I have been hearing these bird sounds as soon as it is dusk. Any time I wake up at tight I also hear them so it is anytime at dark. Loud sounds-they seem to echo and they come from the tall trees. Almost screeching sounds. I really don't know how to describe them in words. But they are LOUD. I hear them inside with all the windows shut.
what kind of bird. it keeps me up all night. please help me

o

Hey guys. I do alot of backpacking in the Mountains of Georgia, SC, and NC. I just got back from a trip this weekend and I heard, what I call cicada sounding bugs at night. Sounds like a cicada's tone if it were pulsating. Sometimes the pulsating buzz sounds get in sync and the sound is LOUD). I hear them every summer and only two weeks ago found out what it was. We were car camping at Devils Fork State Park in SC and my brother in law heard that sound coming from a bush by the road. We did some investigating and found out that it is a green bug that is slender yet tall in the middle of its body. It kind of resembles a lime in color leaf. I have heard these sounds almost all my life and have just recently found out what they looked like. I still however have no idea what they are called. Hope this helped one of you guys.

o

Look up Katydid's there are several in the family at least one matches your discription.

And no I have never heard on a recording the sound of what ever it is that makes me want to hide under the bed. It does definately flap. Have hear it flying by so is a bird but will send chills up your spine.

o

Katydids, Tree frogs, Eastern Screech Owl, Barn Owls, they all make a loud call in the southeast US at night here.

o

The Eastern Screech Owl Call is one call I was trying to figure out for a long time (I had no idea the call was a owl), see the "B-song" in the link below.
Eastern Screech Owl Call

A Barn Owl "Typical Call" makes a big very loud screech sound, that can scare you badly (make sure your speakers are not too loud or it might frighten you, the sound file link below that is).
Barn Owl Call, Click the "Typical Call"

There is also the American woodcock that has very unique call that I can hear some months of the year.
American woodcock Call

o

Two nights now I have heard a bizarre sound out my window. It's sort of a shrieky squawk kind of a sound and I never heard it more than the one time either night. The first time I heard it it sounded like the source might have been moving past, like it was flying, so perhaps it's an owl. After I heard it I looked out the window to see what I could see, but all there was was what appeared to be a rabbit on the sidewalk (alive). I think the neighbors have a feral cat that visits their house, so it could have something to do with that, but I'm not sure. It's very puzzling.

o

Can anyone identify this crazy bird (?) sound? It started in the middle of the night in East Tennessee on Sept. 16th, 2010 after a thunderstorm and rain. Listen to the recording at this link (or click on "Crazy Sound at Night" below): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkAywvkv2zs
I did read most of the previous posts and the sound isn't like an owl, frog or fox.
Any help would be VERY appreciated because it freaked me out!! =)

Here is a link that might be useful: Crazy Sound at Night

o

Flying squirrels squawk and squeal at night here in Alabama.

o

I've got them, too! I live in the Hill Country of Texas, and for the last couple of nights, there has been some kind of huge bird up in my tree. At 2:30am, he lets out these horrific "AWWWWWWWK!" sounds. He is answered by another one of whatever he is, about 1/4 mile away. He's a large bird, very loud. His call is not high-pitched, nor can it be called a scream. I am familiar with the dying-cat scream of the Screech Owl. This is not a screech. It's a very loud, drawn-out AAAAWWWWWKK!

I have searched every sound-bite on the internet to figure out what I've got visiting me. Hope someone comes up with the answer. I don't see it in any of the posts so far.

o

The 'dieing cat scream' that you are so familiar with is not that of a Screech Owl, who has a melodic whinny. The poor Screech Owl is sadly misnamed.

o

2 wks ago I let the dog out at 2 a.m. and I swear there was a Red Tailed Hawk in the tree and it was loud. I told DH and of course he rolled his eyes. A couple days later he was leaving for work at 6 a.m (dark) there it was again. He described the sound as a Red Tailed Hawk also but we both know it's too dark for them. Last wk I'm outside feeding the animals there it was again 10 a.m. but it's not a hawk. I actually saw it and heard it and it's about the size of a bluejay but much slimmer and looks gray, way up in the trees and sounding just like a Redtailed Hawk!!!!! Could be a mocking bird not sure. I searched the internet trying to find another bird that sounds like that paticular hawk but nothing. I tried to take a video with my phone with sound but couldn't get it to work before it flew off. And those other screams may be fisher cats (weasels)they are everywhere.

o

The barred owl begins its nightime racket with what sounds like a woman or girl child screaming ,very high pitched then descending in pitch. Then it goes into its 'communication song' and the scream is not repeated.
Barred owls and great horned owls won't overlap territories, the GHowl driving off the barred owls. A shame, this is what happened in my forest. After getting used to the first scream, the barred owls are much more interesting to listen to. The GH's though, have the ability to throw their voices, cluck like a chicken etc.

o

Wow. Just heards some kind of bird here in South Florida. At least it was coming from high in a tree. It sounded like a Monk parakeet being tortured. It stopped for about 20 minutes then it started again. At first it sounded like a puppy being stepped on. Such a sad, eerie sound.
Years ago, where I used to live, someone's escaped African Grey used to sit in my huge mango tree at dusk and scream for like an hour. My neighbor thought it was a catfight and used to yell at me to do something about my cats.
The bird was finally caught. Fortunately he was still healthy. I like the screech owl trill. I have one in my yard several times a week. Never heard a scream.

o

Well, I found what my noises were (had to rejoin as syds due to my screwup) Anyway, definitely a fox. I assumed it came from a tree because it really did sound like a tormented monk parakeet at times. And it started coming from different places so it wasn't a trapped puppy screaming. After googling alll the bird sounds I found the fox.
It would take a lotta birds to make that sound. Wow.

o

For 2 nights now (in South Florida), we've had loud screeching noise (almost like a woman about to scream) coming from around our lake...no clue what it is, but it is driving all the neighbors crazy...sounds bird-like or even close to a monkey that's about to raise it's voice (if that makes any sense). It's always 3-4 "squeals" and then the dogs start barking, babies crying...it's crazy...and it goes on all night long. I've heard it could be frogs, birds, no clue what it could be only at night and only just starting now... any insight is very much appreciated (by an entire community suffering).

o

Peacocks and foxes both make noises that sound like women screaming.

o

I have been woken up anywhere from 3am to 6am for two weeks straight. there is an awful bird screeching in my back yard on the lake in Boca Raton Florida. It appears to be two birds a mile or so apart back and forth screaming. i did some research online listening to bird sounds in Florid and the Limpkin appears to be the culprit. It is such an awful sound it wakes me, my wife my 4 year old and my 7 month old up every single night. we have tried noise machines but this piercing cry can wake up a city. i am sure all 50 or 100 homes in my part of the neighborhood hear this scream and are awake as well. does anyone have any advice who to call if anyone to help. my kids are zombies my wife and i havent slept in weeks.
thanks.

o

We have the same thing (in Boynton Beach, Florida) and it's definitely a limpkin. Has been going non-stop all night for about almost 2 months now. It's horrendous - wakes my wife up every night (i'm a deep sleeper) and everyone in our community complains about it. Any ideas on how to get rid of this pest would be HUGELY appreciated!

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Limpkin Sound

o

I have to laugh because that same question has been perplexing people in the country since I was a young kid in the 1940's in southern Ohio. They used to think it was bobcats but it was more likely fisher cats, limpkins, or some other creature that is ordinarily silent during the day. You can be pretty sure it isn't a tree frog or wippoorwill if you've ever heard the eery scream. It's the stuff of legends that terrified us in a much simpler time

o

most of the above statements missed the point of the timing which was a sound like and an alarm,with an strick reacurance. we heard it too in ohio near a stream of water

o

• Posted by
    Sheryl Gire
    (sgire@cox.net) on
    Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 11:23

We spent a sleepless nite last nite. We live in a subdivision that backs up to a forest. At first we thought something was being killed. It was screaming, then later you could detect a slight warble. It was truly blood curdling and went on for about an hour.

o

I live in northwest Georgia and have been hearing a VERY loud *bird* only at night. At first I thought it was a small dog barking, since the it comes in two syllable beats, but it's too regular & perfectly consistent to be a dog bark. I've read this entire thread and checked out scores of audio links from here, but haven't found anything that sounds even remotely close.

???

o

I live in south Alabama and 30-35 years ago I heard on several different nights(but not together) a sound that I have not heard since. The only way I can describe it is it sounded like a woman screaming at the top of her lungs while having her belly ripped open by a mountain lion. It sounded up high but was so loud and shrill that it was hard to tell. It lasted 3 to 4 seconds. I can't find that sound anywhere on the web and I've nearly gotten to the end of it. I would love to find out what made that sound because I want to hear it again. Anybody got any ideas?

o

I have been hearing bird sounds at night too this year, that I didn't remember hearing before. Out in our woods is a temporary pond from the extra rain, and it sounds like hundreds of birds out there. I found a website and they have a sound that sounds similar: http://www.pondmarket.com/pond/nature_sounds.htm It is the 4th one from left under owl and bird sounds. I am wondering if others that are hearing bird sounds through the night are hearing similar sounds. I never have noticed this before and have lived here all my life (46 years).

o

I actually came online to research the same annoying sound. We tried to sleep with our windows open last night but certainly was unable we also just moved to Indiana last year and did not hear this screeching two syllable noise, first it sounded like it was in the front yard then the side and finally in the backyard. My husband found a robin's nest under our deck. well we put in a pool last year well tonight my son took a flash light outside in the dark and actually found the noisy little critters...in the water on our pool cover is filled with 100's of small frogs...you can see their throats as they make the distinctive noise....mystery solved now I would just like a good night sleep! I guess when we open our pool they will go away.

o

I think I have the same birds by me in Northern NJ!! I made a video of them calling. Let me know if it's them. Any birdwatchers out there, do you know what type of bird this is? They are so loud I have to close my windows to hear the tv. They also make noise at night too!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Na7LunIZAM&feature=channel_video_title

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird Call Video

o

Hello all, have a need for some help. We live in southwestern Michigan, just a few nights ago (about May 18th) we started hearing an incredibly loud and intrusive bird cry, like a scream, just outside in a wooded area near some marshland. It's not any owl or hawk we can identify by cries we've looked up on the web, we haven't seen it because it only happens at night, and it's so LOUD we have to close the windows to hear the television. The dogs go nuts and it can sometimes go on for quite sometime (and I've heard another bird reply with the same cry in the distance, though this doesn't always happen). The cry is sort of an "aw-AAAAAWWWW!!!" and it is unbelievably loud. Have I mentioned that it's really loud? I was outside the other night and it was in a tree just off of our drive and it scared the crap out of me. But I haven't seen it yet. We're in Berrien Springs, on a country road. ANY THOUGHTS?? It's driving us crazy...

o

MYSTERY SOLVED! For us at least. It's a PEACOCK. Apparently a local farm has llamas and peacocks, for some reason, and one has wandered quite a way into the woods, putting it right outside of our property. As soon as I heard this:

http://www.junglewalk.com/popup.asp?type=a&AnimalAudioID=12802

I knew what we were dealing with. So if you're being haunted by a night screamer, check out the link above. Perhaps you have a wayward peacock in your midst.

Best,

MichiganNight

o

Oh my, those peacock sounds are terrifying! LOL.

When I read this thread my first thought was frogs. The peepers in my neighborhood are loud little buggers.
Then I saw that it was started in 2006 and realized my opinion is moot. :P

o

We have a bird which flies in outer concentric circles and then back in . This bird has a call similar to the just the start of a cicada sound or the start of a tree frog sound. The bird looks like a shore type bird, the wings and white coloration from bottom and grey strip in middle of wings. Very hard to see in flight except when it almost hits you on a dive! When diving down, the wings or something make a sound like a sonic kazoo! We live near the Mississippi River and this bird is out in the early evenings and most of the night.

Please e-mail me if you have an identification. sairysue@sbcglobal.net

o

Barn Owls, they screech instead of hoot. Look em up, that may be it.

o

I found these posts about a bird screaming and my lost bird screams his head off. You can see a photo of him and hear what he sounds like on his web page. http://lostabird.com. He is a Sun Conure and he has been missing for 13 days! Please contact me if you hear him. He will come to you if you say apple. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Missing Sun Conure Parrot's page

o

It's a Fisher Cat they are creepy looking and make screaming sounds... Just look them up

o

Maybe someone here can help. We have just started to hear squeaking noise from outside the house. The noise starts about 7:30-8:00 pm and lasts until 11pm. The squeaks remind me of a roof turbine or swinging metal gate but we have neither of these at our house. I think it is a bird or animal since the sound is from dusk until darkness falls. Any ideas?

o

I have lived in Central NJ for over 10 years and I've never heard a bird that sounds anything like it. We live in a heavily wooded area. It starts at around 8pm and tends to die down around 11pm. About 4 weeks ago, it was just one bird, but it now seems to have attracted a mate. They seem to be trying to match the tone of each other's call. It's almost like they're playing a game of Simon. It's amazing to listen to it. The thing that I find so weird is that it sounds like the noise would come from a really big bird, yet I've never seen even a slight movement in the trees. The noise also tends to stop as I approach. After listening to numerous clips, the only thing that it bears a slight resemblance is a red-tailed hawk. I'll film a video clip tomorrow and post the link.

o

I followed the sound last night, flashlight in hand, thinking I had a couple of raccoons in the manzanita trees that line my property. I could hardly believe my eyes when my flashlight shone on the culprit... it was an owl! Yes, an owl. Small, maybe 9' and grey. I followed the sound to the left of it and spotted another owl. Who'd have thought an owl would make sounds like a raccoon? Whoooooo!

o

I'll jump into this thread too. :) I live in northeast GA, and I've been hearing strange sounds at twilight over the past year, mostly in the warm months. It's a breathy kind of shriek that is broken up into two parts. It almost sounds like a "witch" or something. It doesn't happen repeatedly--only occasionally, and some nights not at all. Tonight, it happened at the edge of some woods right after sunset. I heard it about 3 times. I actually taped the sound using my digital camera, but when I played it back, you could barely hear anything. :(

Of the sounds listed in this thread, the sound that I'm hearing is closest to that of the Eastern Screech Owl, but it still sounds a tad different to me. However, it definitely resembles the neigh of a horse. It probably is some kind of owl, though. I wish I could get an audible recording of it and post it to YouTube! It's been bugging me for months now to find out exactly what it is.

o

Finally, I figured out what my mystery bird is in St. Louis. It is a common nighthawk. see link.....

Here is a link that might be useful: guardian UK

o

I live in southeastern Wisconsin and have been puzzled by the loud screaming/screeching noises I would hear at night while walking the dog. I should say I was puzzled until last night.

As I was coming down the street with the dog last night I heard this noise, very loud and what sounded like right in front of me. Looking down the street and flashing the flash light down the street I saw one of the many barn owls standing in the street screeching at me.

Next time I am out I will try to get a sound clip to help solve the mystery for at least some.

o

I too was puzzled by loud bird sound the other night. We found the culprit: Grey Tree Frog

Here is a link that might be useful: tree frog

o

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I was on my bike last night in the Greenville, SC area and heard the craziest owl call ever. It sounded like a crazed woman or monkey call. At first I thought it was kids messing with me in the dark. So after scouring the net, I found a sample. See the link... note the first sound that gets louder. I heard that up close and personal on a dark neighborhood street. Yikes!

http://www.stancourtney.com/sounds/birds/Barred Owl/2009.05.07_Barred_Owl_01.mp3

Here is a link that might be useful: Crazy Barred Owl Call

o

Great thread! Northern California Coast: For the past 4 nights I have heard a screech from the top of giant eucalyptus trees. It sounds like a lone hawk. It screeches about every 20 seconds for the whole night. Is it a baby who is hungry? Wounded? Or is this something natural with hawks?

thanks, for your help.

o

Tonight i hear alot of birds or bats flying around in circles around my house sreaching.....nonstop.....its been over three hrs....they cirle and circle in the same direction over and over around my house....what coukd they be....they are not frogs for i see them fly but its too dark to tell if they are bats or birds.

o

It's a Barn Owl that screeches like that.
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Barn_Owl/id

o

I think It could be tree frog or owl.

o

I know this is a old form , but i just wanted to share , i have a big yard and woods on two sides , i know for a fact i have a mommy fox and she just had a baby back in feb. they live in a hollow tree that has fell on the back side , they never bother us except the garbage from time to time but a few months back me and my daughter heard a almost growling sound outside the front door early one morning i asked my dad he said it could have been our fox , well this morning about 3 am i heard my dogs barking so i went to check and i could hear screaming just like most of you decribed about every 30 sec to a min very high pitched almost barking/ screaming sound that echoed thought the woods, very scary sound, it lasted about a hour, so im not telling yall that you have a fox but i know that is what my was and it sounds like what alot of you r hearing , im guess its mating calls! its getting a little colder and its time to snugle!

o

I think I have the same bird. It came to my lake last year and stayed from Feb. to about June, so it must migrate. It sounds like it is screaming in my lake all night. Last night my boyfriend threw a rock at it and it flew away only to annoy my neighbors down the lake. My friend in Boynton Beach has the same bird. She called animal control and they said that it was endangered and we cannot harm them or try to relocate them in any way. Stand by for the name of the bird. I put a call in. BTW, it is fairly large and brown... it is sitting on the tree on the other side of the lake right now screaming at me. UGH!

o

hello im new here but im a little scared for my grandmother she is so delicate of health and there is a bird i think scaring her in panama (the country )in the country area...it sounds like very extremely high pitch whistel people believe its a witch flying around but i think it my be and im hoping its a bird also i have doubts..so this happens at night and its very few whisteles oe or two or 3 but not a lot but you always hear it even when its far away and when you hear it it sund like it is very close to you...very very creapy so does anyone has a clue? please help so i ca tell my grandmother everything its just an act of nature? and also what other bird sound like its saying whoo-oohh! whhoo-oohh! like someone out of air? i want to get those whitch and ghost sounds out of myth i know they have to be birds! thank you and hope someone can give me the information i sooo need! thanks bye!!

o

It might be a Chuck-Will's-Widow. I'm in S.C. and I hear one all night long from spring to winter. If you follow this link, there is a recording of one. http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/view_default.asp?curGroupID=1&curFamilyID=223

o

This website also has the bird sounds of some common garden birds.
I love the bird songs.
I also have what I think is a bird, something that makes bird sounds in the middle of the nite. Which surprised me cuz I didn't think birds sing at nite. So maybe it is one of the alternatives mentioned in this thread. Whatever it is, I like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: bird songs

o

I live in NH on a small pond with the same loud rhythmic calls from dusk through the night up in the trees. I thought it was a group of woodpeckers because I saw one in the trees at dusk when all the sounds were active. Turns out I was wrong, most of the posts here are correct. I did a little Google searching and found out it is a gray tree frog. Hope that helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gray tree frog sound

o

I was hearing some strange sounds coming from the woods tonight--I've heard them before. Anyway, this time I followed them, and I found the culprit. It was a bird. It was no bigger than a mockingbird, but it was acting like a bat. The time was just after sunset, and the bird was flying around low and making short squawks. Sometimes it would even land on the ground, and then when it saw me following it, it would get up again. Overall, it was keeping pretty low to the ground, perching on low branches in trees, etc. The bird wasn't staying that far away from me either, and it kept making short squawks the whole time. Does anybody have any idea what kind of bird this might be?

o
RE: Bird?

Oops, forgot to mention that I'm in Northeast GA. :)

o

Look up Nightjars, which include whip-poor-wills, poor-wills and other 'night hawks'.

o

Thanks, rhizo_1. We have a ton of whippoorwills--we hear them all the time. But maybe this other bird is their cousin or something. :) Yes, I'll definitely read up on nightjars.

o

OK, I think the bird is definitely some type of nightjar. This description for the common nighthawk hits the nail on the head:

In the Southern United States, it is sometimes mistaken for a bat when spotted flying erratically at dusk.

However, the bird's voice is different from that of a common nighthawk. Ir'a much less intense. This bird sounds almost like a chicken (bock-bock), but with a much lower-pitched voice.

So, I definitely believe it's some time of nightjar--thanks, rhizo_1. Maybe eventually I can narrow it down. I'll have to bring my digital camera along next time and hope it can pick up the squawking. :)

o
RE: Bird?

Oops, hit the wrong keys there. :) That was supposed to say, "It's much less intense." LOL.

o

OK, I think the mystery is solved (at least for me :). Apparently the bird I've been hearing is a whippoorwill. I didn't realize that whippoorwills, in addition to making their familiar call, also make a low-pitched bock-bock at times. Someone told me this on another forum, and it makes perfect sense.

I wonder why all the sound clips of whippoorwills online don't include this other noise that they make too? Strange.

o

THIS GUY !!!

---------------------------------------------------
Posted by chauch (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 21, 09 at 0:20

---------------------------------------------------

just when I was about to snipe it with my softair gun..
poor baby owl just wants some nomnoms..
god dammit the sound is unbearable... imma scare it away..
@#$%@#$% it wont go away... what to do ?!?!??
keeps makin that horrible sound from 10pm till dunno late in the night.. me and i'm sure several dozens of neighbour's cant sleep ...
I've seen it on a pole the fukkr was teasing me... threw a bunch of small rocks at it.. it went to some other location
fkn HELL its back..
and now there's 2 jesus h. christ... !

o

Yes, chauch is 100% right, at least in my case. Played the sound he linked too of the juvenile Great Horned Owl, and that's what we have. Heard it starting in the evening then took my dog out around midnight... Still going. Decided to see what would happen if I imitated it... And after about a dozen imitations/calls it flew in close to check me out. Landed in a big old tree and really started calling out. It was dark, but could see that it was a large bird. We have heard mature Great Horns here for years, but never heard the juveniles before. Like a shrieking sound a minute or so apart. Thanks chauch!!! You're my hero for helping me identify it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Equip2Survive.com Survival Gear and Information

o

The sound you're hearing is either the owl as mentioned or a common nighthawk. They sound similar so what it boils down to is how you hear the sound. If it's stationary as in in the tree and only the tree probably juvenile owls.

However here in Detroit I hear this as well but it repeats throughout the night and at different locations. These are nighthawks. If you're lucky and one flies close enough to you (say no more than 25 ft. away) you can also hear them fly it's a soft buzz song when they whip by. If you're luckier or a bird watcher you can see them in flight in summer mornings at about 4-5 am (or whenever is slightly before dawn but lit enough to see dark figures). It took me a while to figure this out, as my first guess were bats ironically enough but it's definitely nighthawks here. I remember the band on the wing when one flew overhead.

Here is a link that might be useful: Call of the Common Nighthawk

o

Here's a follow-up to my post from a couple of years ago. I was hearing a shriek in the woods that sounded like a "witch." I've been wondering what the sound is for over 2 years now. Well, I finally found out. It's deer!

Here's a link to the sound (it takes about 20 sec. before the sound appears):

Deer Snort

Who'd a thunk it?

o

I was thinking maybe screeching owl too. Those things are scary sounding specially at night time. Just like what happened one year ago. We went camping with my friends in the middle of the woods and in the middle of the night I woke up by a screaming owl. It freaked me out, all I could think was getting outta there.

o

Hi, I know this post is old, but i came across it looking for another bird sound and had to reply because I'm pretty sure I know exactly what the noise is. I'm surprised nobody else has posted this. Southern Flying Squirrels. http://www.wildlifeofct.com/southern flying squirrel.html I live in Orlando and they're everywhere, yet nobody knows they're around because they come out at exactly dusk, party all night, and are in bed before you wake up. But if you happen to have a window right outside a tree they live in, they'll keep you up for hours. I had this problem in my old house. I have them living in my yard now as well, but fortunately their tree is on the other side of the house. Grab a flash light and hang out and look for them. But have patience because they're hard to spot at first. Here's a link to the sound.

Here is a link that might be useful: southern flying squirrel

o

Great Blue Herons fly and hunt at night, I have heard and see many by moon light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here