Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Raccoons trying to get into the attic again!

paulsiu
13 years ago

Last year, a raccoon managed to get into the attic, I hired an animal guy who trapped the animal. After that, I reinforced the soffit with some plywood and bricks.

This year, I notice that my aluminum siding is damaged. Raccoons probably attempted to get in by peeling the sidings. Will these pest never stop :-(.

I was thinking of installing a battery power alarm near where they attempt to get in. I am afraid of waking the neighbors though, so I wonder if a motion sensing battery light is going to work or will the raccoon just ignore that?

Alternatively, I was thinking of stuffing some razor or barb wire where they keep trying to get in to discourage them from trying.

Paul

Comments (2)

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, in my area, professionally trapped raccoons are automatically destroyed. This is why I tried not to call an animal guy.

The barb wire is not to harm the raccoon, but to discourage it from trying to get at the attic. The gardening guy said it is unlikely to work since they figure some way to remove it. I cut down the branches near my house, which probably does not prevent them climbing up the drain pipe, but it's now more difficult. I also remove all food from the area.

The coyote's occasional night visits seems to help (I think raccoons are probably afraid of coyotes), but he or she does not visit enough

Paul

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    13 years ago

If you have access to your attic, put a radio up there tuned to an all talk channel; that's what my neighbors do.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County