Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raccoons trying to get into the attic again!

Posted by paulsiu IL (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 16, 11 at 1:31

Last year, a raccoon managed to get into the attic, I hired an animal guy who trapped the animal. After that, I reinforced the soffit with some plywood and bricks.

This year, I notice that my aluminum siding is damaged. Raccoons probably attempted to get in by peeling the sidings. Will these pest never stop :-(.

I was thinking of installing a battery power alarm near where they attempt to get in. I am afraid of waking the neighbors though, so I wonder if a motion sensing battery light is going to work or will the raccoon just ignore that?

Alternatively, I was thinking of stuffing some razor or barb wire where they keep trying to get in to discourage them from trying.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raccoons trying to get into the attic again!

Well, in my area, professionally trapped raccoons are automatically destroyed. This is why I tried not to call an animal guy.

The barb wire is not to harm the raccoon, but to discourage it from trying to get at the attic. The gardening guy said it is unlikely to work since they figure some way to remove it. I cut down the branches near my house, which probably does not prevent them climbing up the drain pipe, but it's now more difficult. I also remove all food from the area.

The coyote's occasional night visits seems to help (I think raccoons are probably afraid of coyotes), but he or she does not visit enough

Paul

o
RE: Raccoons trying to get into the attic again!

If you have access to your attic, put a radio up there tuned to an all talk channel; that's what my neighbors do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here