Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Can anyone help me get my birds back?

northerner_on
10 years ago

Over many years I dedicated my garden to wildlife, sometimes too much. Always had many birds, butterflies, humming birds, kept the squirrels at bay by providing feeding stations down at the back against the fence, had the occasional visit from a ground hog or skunk or racoon but generally enjoyed it. A few years ago our new neighbour was an assistant in a vet's office and proceeded to invite every cat in the neighbourhood to her yard. So we were overtaken by feral cats who took over our yards: used them as a bathroom; killed off several birds including two pairs of robins who nested in our trees for several years; secreted themselves under our shed and other places and gave birth to several litters of kittens. We complained a lot but to no avail. Finally we got a trap and trapped 13 cats and kittens...and they were really viscious. She has finally gone back to school, taken a different job, and has only one cat (domesticated and with her shots) who comes into our yard occasionally as most cats around the neighbourhood have always done but this is now three years later and not one bird has come back. I have feeders out, suet cages, a bird bath, but not one bird. Last year I saw just one humming bird 'pass through' but nothing stays. I am wondering if the 'scent' of the cats is still around, and if so, how can I remove it? Bird watching was a pleasure, not it's completely gone. Any ideas? Thank you,
Northerner.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting