Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Idea I had for protecting birdhouses I have not seen elsewhere

Posted by lucille Houston (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 9:13

What about enclosing each birdhouse in a cube of grids? Many people are using powdercoated metal grids now to make guinea pig cages, they are storage grids meant for building shelves for closets, the grids are 14" square with openings that are 1 1/2". It is easy to make a cube using zip ties although they do sell hard plastic circular connectors.
If the cage was inside, squirrels and cats could not get in. The cubes could be suspended from trees. Of course you could still tailor the actual cage hole size too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Idea I had for protecting birdhouses I have not seen elsewher

I'm not following. I'd like to, though.

o

The birdhouse would be inside a cube made of grids. Nothing larger than 1 1/2" could get in, so the birds could fly through the grids but the squirrels and other larger predators could not. Sort of like a birdhouse in a cage, but the cage is to keep varmints out, not birds in.

o

I know what your talking about. You would have to build the grids out a bit to keep the food "way past arms length". I don't know how much good it would do, though, it would just give them a place to hang onto. But I do applaud your effort.

o

Have decided to put up 4x4s, screw the grid cubes onto them, and put the birdhouses inside. Even if a critter sits on a cube it would have to reach in farther than 8" just to get to the opening of the house.

This post was edited by lucille on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 7:37

o

Lucille,
I would love to see pictures! Please post some when you finish the project. It seems like a good idea to me.

o

Lucille, it's certainly an interesting project, and worth experimenting I think! Let us know how it works.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here