Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
broad leaved mint & smallheaded sunflower. Add them?

Posted by loris Z6 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 08 at 9:41

I'm going through my list of what to order from the local Audubon's plant sale catalogue, and I'm trying to decide on whether to keep (Pycnanthemum muticum) broad leaved mint & (Helianthus microcephalus)smallheaded sunflower on my list. Anybody have any experience with these? I'm hoping the sunflower will attract goldfinches among other birds, and that maybe the mint would be used as a painted lady host. Will this mint get too aggressive in the garden? How does it compare as a nectar plant to Asclepias incarnata (swamp milkweed) or blue cardinal flower (Lobelia siphilitica)?

Thanks. -- Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: broad leaved mint & smallheaded sunflower. Add them?

I will never plant mint again any kind.I have a kitchen garden,8 large raised beds.We planted 2 kinds We put a piece of sheet metal down pretty far Im talking 2' deep,the mint got out of there came up feet away in between all the brick ,came up in allll the boxes,Is even in the yard now.We dug out all boxes,still came back.......

o

Thanks bulldinkie. I am going to post over on the Butterfly Garden Forum out of curiousity, but unless people there say they haven't had trouble with this type of mint, and it'll be a wonderful addition for wildlife, I think you help me cut down me list a bit.

-- Lori

o

Notice the latin name for the mint. Pycnanthemum muticum not a true mint

o

Thanks maifleur. It's a good reminder to be careful of common names. The Ladybird Johnson site has broad leaved mint listed as at least in the mint family.

I think based on some feedback on the Butterfly Gardening Forum, I will try broad leaved mint or Pycnanthemum tenuifolium (slender mountain mint) which somebody there recommended. I think I actually like the look of that better, but broad leaved mint seems to be native to conditions similar to my yard's.

-- Lori

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here