Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Doves all Day

Posted by karenlynn KY (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 10:14

Can anyone recommend a feeder that will not attract doves? I have been using a small platform feeder for cardinals & would love to see bluejays too. (only saw one bluejay in couple years, just a few weeks ago.) I have a few visits from cardinals everyday but the doves are there all day on feeder and ground keeping others away. Also those big blackbirds but mostly doves. I also have a thistle feeder which I love but the doves are always on the ground under it. Do the seed trays that attach under the feeders to catch seed work or are the doves able to land on them? Thanks for any help,

Karen
Western Ky.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Doves all Day

Hi Karen - From what I was told, doves are ground feeders and can't land on perch type feeders (guess it's a balancing thing...lol). So I'm guessing it's the platform.

Personally, I love my doves but I guess it's because they ARE on the ground, mostly by themselves (with the exception of the pesky blackbirds). I'm surprised they keep the other birds away...I didn't know they could be that intimidating....lol. But maybe when they are feeding up on the feeder, they behave differently. Are you sure it's not the blackbirds being the bullies? I know they are around my feeder.

I don't know anything about feeders to suggest a better kind.

o

I have doves too and they clean up the seed on the ground as well. My cardinals and blue birds don't seem to mind having them around.
Martha

o

Try switching to a hanging feeder with narrow landing space, instead of the platform feeder. The doves in my yard prefer large stable landing spaces that don't swing too much, so I seldom see them on my hanging feeders. The smaller birds don't seem to mind them on the ground below.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here