Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What animals eat pure suet, but not seeds?

Posted by paulsiu (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 10:45

I place some leftover pure suet on my ground feeder, but none of the birds ate it. The next day it was gone but none of the seeds were eaten. I was wondering what sort of animal eat suet but not bird seeds. It's probably not the rabbit.

It could be neighbor's dog. They don't seemed to walk their dog, but just let them go out to the woods. I notice he drops by yard fairly often. He may have chomp it down on a early morning or late morning walk.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What animals eat pure suet, but not seeds?

Hi Paul.

I bet our dogs would eat it if they had the chance-LOL! They also eat the birdseed I sprinkle on the ground for the doves and cardinals. Stupid varmints.

If you hang the suet, woodpeckers and flickers will love you! I always use the plain suet so the squirrels don't bother it.

BTW, I love hearing about all the critters you get in your yard!

Cynthia

o

I am thinking that it's the opossum. I see it coming to the platform feeder at night. May be eating a block of suet gave it indigestion and left the rest of the seed alone.

Recently, the suet block I hung is depleting slower than before. I suspect it's because woodpecker now find enough food on their own.

Paul

o

• Posted by patann Z5 AnnArborMI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 21:28

Paul, I have a woodpecker that still likes to hang upside down on my cheapy plastic octagonal feeder daily, eating Kaytee Nuts & Fruit and seeds. SE Michigan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here