Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dee_can1

Raccoon in My Tree

dee_can1
16 years ago

For quite a few years, a raccoon has been making nightly visits in my neighbourhood (when it isn't in hibernation during the winter months, that is). So, we've had to take our birdfeeders in every night during raccoon season to keep him from demolishing them.

Last night, the temp was about -9C; and lo and behold Mr. Raccoon must have come out of hibernation anyway. This morning, we noticed him 'sleeping' in our maple tree about 5m above the feeders (which were untouched). Well, Mr. R. is still there (6 hours later), and not moving. Just wondering what you would do?

(Of course, I don't want to hurt him, but I'd like him to go... home (?) so that there's not a raccoon in my tree!) I wonder if he's hurt, actually; because it seems unusual for him to stay around people like this.

Comments (12)

• lisa11310
    16 years ago

I would call your dept of wildlife. It does not sound like your Racoon is healthy.

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. He's still there, over 12 hours later, so something must be amiss. I'll have to wait until tomorrow, and if he hasn't gone 'home', I'll make the call.

• lisa11310
    16 years ago

I had a black Squirrel in the crotch of a tree last fall that stayed there the whole day, I thought for sure it was dead but late that afternoon it took off down the tree and ran off into the woods. I hope your Racoon is ok but it does not sound good, poor thing.

• lisa11310
    16 years ago

Wondering what is happening with the Racoon?????

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, last night he was still there; but when I woke up this morning, he was gone. He's awfully big, and from what I could tell he looked pretty healthy (but I can't be sure).

I'm thinking he may have been disorientated after coming out of hibernation - especially since it was so cold yesterday. His presence kept the pigeons away, though; and the squirrels didn't know what to make of him.

I'm back to taking in the birdfeeders and suet every night, though; because his nightly visits have probably started up again.

• lisa11310
    16 years ago

Lets hope it is ok. Did you check under the tree to be sure it didn't fall out?

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I thought of that; and I checked under the tree and all around the yard, just in case. No sign of Mr. R.

• billinpa
    16 years ago

Racoons are nocturnal. We has sleeping away the day. If he was up and wondering around during daylight then I would worry.

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think the raccoon felt safe in my yard, too; so he picked my tree to nap in. I wondered how he slept all day on a branch, 30 feet up, and didn't fall out of the tree. I guess they know what they're doing ; ).

Just to update: It appears Mr. R. is in good health because he came and took the suet feeders down last night... I was too sore and tired after working outside all day yesterday to bring in the feeders. : )

• lisa11310
    16 years ago

Glad to hear your Racoon is ok, thanks for the update. This is going to be the first weekend that it is nice enough to do anything outside, still a few piles of dirty snow but I am looking forward to being sore and tired myself!

• davek913
    16 years ago

It's not uncommon for them to come out during the day, especially if there's a known food source for them to visit. We had a similiar experience with a raccoon. He wandered around different spots in the yard for an hour looking for something to eat before climbing our one maple tree, where he proceeded to set up shop from around 11 AM to 7 PM. He nestled himself in a high crotch and just lounged most of the day. The next thing I knew, he was gone.

Glad to hear it was okay. They can be pesky but they can be cute as well, especially the babies when they're young.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio