Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant for Migrating Birds?

Posted by edlincoln 6A (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 13:00

Any thoughts as to what to plant for migrating birds in New England? What would be passing through here when, and what blooms around then?

I like the idea of finding things that produce berries right when certain species of migrating birds are passing through.

Might be possible to do the same thing with flowers for hummingbirds and butterflies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant for Migrating Birds?

Although I`m not familiar with your area or climate you could consider mulberry, mountain ash and viburnum for berry producing trees/shrubs. For hummingbirds and butterflies, there are lots of salvias, fuchsia, monarda, foxgloves etc that would do well for you. Check out the Hummingbird Garden and Bird watching Forums. There are plenty of knowledgeable and friendly folks there who could give you lots of suggestions more specific to your locale.

o
RE: What to plant for Migrating Birds?

I'm not in your area, but I like your question. Here's a link with an overwhelming amount of information for the northeast part of the country. (See link at bottom)

Here's their page for the whole country: http://www.metrofieldguide.com/resources/landscape-for-wildlife-2/landscape-for-wildlife/all-regions/

I'm definitely going to check out the page for my region too.

Kat

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape for Wildlife: Northeast

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here