Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

I'm back!! And I have a question about magnifying lenses

dirtgirl
19 years ago

Hey folks. I guess we got the bugs out of the little box here but I suppose we will see in time! The people who design these wicked little things are getting better all the time, so be sure to update your protection!

Do any of you know a good place to find a jeweler's loupe, that is, a handlens? I have always kinda wanted to get one to carry with me for closer inspection of things like spider's eyes and larval ticks and weird stuff like that. I also realize that in some instances you really have to have a handlens to make out details that can correctly id a creature.

On top of that, we are seeing a whole wave of new "pests" here in the agricultural sector such as soybean aphids and most ominously, asian rust, which can only be clearly seen/diagnosed through a loupe.

I've contacted many of the jewelers here locally without much success, and I was amazed that the hobby shops don't carry them since model builders and others need serious magnification for their crafts.

Any suggestions? Guess I could search the web....

Comments (10)

• ericwi
    19 years ago

for a wide selection of handheld magnifiers, try Edmund Scientifics, and search under the heading "magnifiers." They have a web-site.

• vonyon
    19 years ago

DG, You are probably looking for something far better than this, but I got one at WalMart. It has a lens about 2 1/2 inches across with a tiny larger magnifier toward the bottom. I keep it in the junk drawer as the eyes aren't as good as they used to be, and I'm too lazy to chase glasses around. I can't believe the size of the directions on the sides of OTC drug bottles these days. I know my eyes aren't that bad.

• jillmcm
    19 years ago

Get a Bausch and Lomb hand lens, they're sweet - if you have a college or university nearby with a geology or paleontology department, you can probably get one through them. Rock and mineral shows also usually have them for sale. Edmund Scientifics is expensive...

• northeastwisc
    19 years ago

Gemplers has several to choose from. They have a lot of other products for the outdoors. I have been satisfied with their service and prices in the past.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gemplers

• catherinet
    19 years ago

Hey Dirtgirl,
    Glad to see you back!
    I know nothing about magnifyers, but since I was a nurse, I got to see some docs wearing them for surgery, etc. Does the one you're thinking of getting have to be hand held? It might be a good idea to buy one that sits on your head, that way, both hands would be free. Maybe you could find one on a medical supply site? Let us know what you find.

• catherinet
    19 years ago

P.S. Dirtgirl,
    I just did an internet search on "head magnifiers" and "magnifiers on head", and found a bunch of them. You could mail-order one of them.

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks guys, I will indeed check out the links you offered.
    One of the farm service companies here is advertising a Bausch & Lomb 20x for something like 18.00 and from some of the few prices I have seen so far this might be a nice deal.
    Cathy, I just had a mental vision of myself with those over-the-head lenses on...maybe that's a cheaper cure for my astigmatism?? At least then I could pluck my own eyebrows a bit more efficiently!

• vonyon
    19 years ago

DG, you crack me up. The vision of you with that on your head leads me to think that you might not have too much trouble with your neighbor. No more ducking in creek bottoms when you see him coming. :)

• catherinet
    19 years ago

lol.. I don't know.......zebra mussel man might really get off on seeing you in those head glasses. It might make you EXACTLY what he was looking for.......hahahahahaha

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Maybe I should trade them in on some nighttime sniper goggles.
    Or better yet, just give him a pair of binoculars and make sure he's using the fat end to look through. Then I will appear to be SOOOO FAAARR AWAAAAAYYYY......