Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

nest-blessed

dirtgirl
19 years ago

It's a tough job but somebody has to do it...someone will have to break it to the bluebirds that always use the box at the corner of the yard that this year it goes to the chickadees.

I went out to inspect one of my beds and take out some of the old stalk material when a little grey rocket shot out of the box on the old wooden fencepost, just missing my head. I think I even made a little girly noise, it scared me so badly.

I took a peek inside, thinking maybe the bird had just been inside looking for insects, but there it was, a tidy little cup nest. No eggs yet, but I guess in time....

Wonder if the blues will bicker with them. This particular box usually sees two or three broods of blues a season, and certainly never has been home to chickadees, but there are plenty of other boxes as well as natural cavities around so I doubt there is a big problem.

Comments (9)

• vonyon
    19 years ago

DG: How lucky you are!! You could always put a hole reducer on the box to discourage the blues from bothering them. I have heard of people doing that and not scaring the chickadees off. Good luck to them.

• catherinet
    19 years ago

Neat Dirtgirl!
    I've never had chickadees in my bluebird boxes. Although last year, I had tree swallows checking it out. We had a cherry tree in our yard that died. DH cut all but about a 7' trunk out. The chickadees have been nesting in there for several years. I'm concerned it's going to fall over. I told DH to cut it down before any nests appeared........but then I saw the chickadees flying around it.......so we'll leave it alone and keep our fingers crossed!
    I doubt the bluebirds would bother them. They're so gentle. But the hole reducer is a good idea. Have fun with them!

• Phil_NJ
    19 years ago

I would put a hole reducer, I have seen bluebirds build right over a nest with chickadee eggs.
    Phil

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well I have to suppose that the little chickadee I saw coming out of the nest was just having a look around because there are now three blubird eggs in that little cup nest. I really thought at first glance that the nesting material was a bit finer than the stuff the blues use but maybe not. And if the blues did in fact give the chickadees the boot, at least there were no eggs laid yet so the losses were avoided. I will keep a closer eye on the other boxes and see what is going when I'm not looking.
    Heard the first pileated woodpecker of the spring today, and finally spotted the bird swooping from tree to tree in the part of the woods that I burned last year. Ought to be just to its liking with so many snags and dead elms. Unfortunately I also spotted-if you can believe this- an autumn olive sprout that has survived being chopped to the ground, the stump sprayed with a systemic herbicide, and then burned over. Unbelievable resiliency!! I guess when I clear out the straw from the dog's house I should pile it there at the base of this sprout and let it burn super slowly.

• vonyon
    19 years ago

DG: You lucky dog you. But then again, we have accused you of being extremely lucky before haven't we? We will have snow on the ground here. My bluebirds have already been kicked out of the box they have been roosting in all winter (by house sparrows--grrr) and have decided to move into the other house across the yard. I can't believe you have 3 eggs already. Good luck to them.

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Good luck? You need to read all of that last post ...the part about the autumn olive. If we left this woods for a few years and came back to have a look, that one shrub would have become hundreds!
    For all the success stories I have, it seems there are always the battles I can't seem to win.

• vonyon
    19 years ago

Well, I know those are the discouraging ones, but you sure do get lucky on the animals!!

• vonyon
    19 years ago

DG, My blues are building already and the snow hasn't even melted. I sure hope it doesn't get too cold. I also saw the tree swallows already!! Apparently the birds aren't aware of the late winter we are having.

• dirtgirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yep, the spring migrants are really streaming in now.
    Hearing phoebes (the pewees can't be far behind) and several different warblers now, and if I plan on actually watching any of the newcomers I'd better get at it because once the trees get their greenery started the visibility goes downhill VERY quickly. Once the leaves get going, you have to rely on rainy cooler days to bring many of our migrants down out of the canopy. I've even had summer and scarlet tanagers checking out the feeder area during the darker rainy spring spells.
    I keep listening for the parulas, which particularly interest me since I first noticed this brief visitor to our area only a few years back. It was that strange buzzy song that got my attention.
    Ever notice how you can almost set your clock to the arrival of some species, and this also applies to the reappearance of certain plants. I know to start looking for morels when the mayapples, larkspur, jack-in-the-pulpit get so tall. And unfortunately this coincides pretty handily with the time the new poison ivy leaves are just popping out.
    But I've already got a nice-sized patch of the stuff on my left butt cheek so it doesn't matter. I was burning off a bit of honeysuckle that escaped the burn a few years ago and sat down against a tree for a breather, and , blammo, that's all it takes.