Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taragirl_gw

mahonia -- good or evil?

taragirl
16 years ago

I have 2 mahonia (oregon grape holly) bushes. I'm considering removing them.

In their favor, they offer nectar and berries much earlier than any other plant around here, helping wildlife through later winter and early spring. (I'm in NC, btw.)

On the other hand, their unbelievably spiky leaves hide in the mulch underneath them and spear me through the fingertip whenever I innocently touch the ground anywhere within twenty feet of the shrubs, thus painfully ending all attempts at gardening for the day. I've been pricked by thorns before, and I can handle a fair amount of pain, but these things bring me to tears!

I've always wondered whether thorns in general do more harm than good for wildlife, especially anything with thin fur or thin feathers or soft paw pads. The shelter from predators versus the slow pain of infected stabbings, you know. But these mahonia leaves could stab through the thickest fur or hardest paw pad, I think.

Any thoughts?

Comments (2)

• maifleur01
    16 years ago

1. mahonia is not a native to your area.
    2. If not native no reason to keep plant if you want to plant natives.
    3. Animals are more aware of their surroundings except when frighten or in season. They are less apt to blunder into the thorns. Most do not have soft paws.
    4. Some birds use thorns to hold prey until they are ready to eat.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Mahonia bealei is invasive and if that is the one you have then you should remove it. The native mahonia (Mahonia aquifolium) is from Oregon and is much better behaved. You can visually tell the difference if you look up pictures.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!