Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nest in Bird House but I am moving

Posted by lmduncan none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 16:27

Hi everyone, I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have had a birdhouse on my patio forever and never has a bird used it before, so it was pretty much for looks. Well, my lease is up at the end of April and I will be moving. However, today I saw that a bird has made a nest in there. My room-mate told me she thought she saw a robin fly out of it. Any chance it will be gone by the end of April?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nest in Bird House but I am moving

Robins don't nest in boxes. See if you can ID the bird they all have different nesting timetables. Depending on the bird it may be gone by then. What does the nest look like/ made of?

o

Well, it's in one of those wooden birdhouse, the link below shows a pic of what it pretty much looks like

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/878834/878834000561xl.jpg

The actual nest is mostly made of pine straw and dead leaves and takes up most of the interior space. I'm not really sure how else to describe it. I haven't actually seen the bird myself. I live in Raleigh NC if that is any help.

o

If there are no eggs in the bird house, just dump the contents and pack it away. I would do that today. Birds will move and rebuild.

o

Not if it's a Native bird protected by law!

o

If the nest is 'under construction' and has NO EGGS and NO CHICKS it is legal to get rid of it. At that point, it is simply a bundle of straw, sticks, mud, and/or whatever. Such a nest falls into the category of being an 'inactive nest'...no eggs or chicks.

o

Alright everyone, thanks! I think I may have accidentally scared it off by looking in it. There was no bird in the nest last night unless it has more than one nest (I don't know if that's possible but just a guess). I will take it down; the actual bird house has sentimental value to me so I would hate to leave it. In all the three years I've lived here, never before has a bird even started a nest in it (as it's in a very busy area), so I was surprised.

o

Most birds don't sleep in a nest or even sit in one, unless it has eggs or babies. Nests are pretty much used as 'cradles', so to speak.

Be sure to empty the birdhouse out and clean it carefully. Birds are soooooo buggy. And if you empty the contents out in the open somewhere, everything will be quickly recycled to other birds' nest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here