Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salamanders - what to do?

Posted by edibleplease z9 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 5, 06 at 16:28

Hi,

I was moving some bricks in the yard and under the last ones, were 3-4 very small salamanders. I'm so excited (it's the small things!), but they are hardly moving. Could they be hibernating? Dying? Should I try to carefully pile the bricks back around them? We live in a summer-dry area of California, so are they doomed anyway?

Thanks wildlifers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salamanders - what to do?

Hi edibleplease,
You live in such a different climate from me, I've afraid to give my suggestions.....but since no one else is, I'll do it. I think they were hibernating, so I think I would cover them up with something less weighty.....you don't want to squish them. Maybe some leaves or straw?? Or a clay pot that has a broken section or a hole in it??
That is so cool that you have salamanders. I wish I had those! Good luck!

o

I think you should put them back exactly as you found them.

o

Edible,

What area of California do you and your salamanders inhabit? There are some very slim species of salamanders in the state known collectively as Slender Salamanders, (genus Batrachoseps), that almost look like worms with tiny legs. Otherwise it could be the young of any species.

Salamanders do quite well in the dry-summer California areas; they just go deeper into existing burrows and under debris. They are generally active only during the wetter months of the year but get lethargic like yours were in very cool winter weather.

I agree with Elly; put them back where you found them and they should do fine..

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Slender Salamander distribution

o

Mike is right. I have them also. They are most active in the summer when temp's are warm. They hide under anything dark and damp.
Congratulations BTW!

Edna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wildlife Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here