Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
branski

Squirrel proof feeders (Yankee Flipper vs. Squirrel Buster)

branski
18 years ago

I'm trying to decide between the Droll Yankee Flipper and the Brome Squirrel Buster. Anybody have either of these?

I like the fact the Brome can be washed in the dish washer and would probably keep the seed dryer than the Droll. But, the Droll sure does seem like it would be entertaining.

Comments (8)

• gaylams
    18 years ago

I have the Yankee Flipper, but it has not been as entertaining as I thought. The squirrels quickley caught on and left it alone! I guess I had hoped to see them flying through the air more.

gayla in Mississippi

• rudysmallfry
    18 years ago

I hang my feeders with fishing line or very thin wire, far enough from the branch so that the squirrels can't reach down to the feeder. It must be too labor intensive because I never see them even attempt to raid the feeders. They just wait for the birds to drop stuff down to them on the ground.

• Msrpaul
    18 years ago

I'm with rudy. I'll go one step further. Buy one of those green "cornholders" at Lowe's. They sell corn "ears" of compressed corn that's like 10 in one. THey also sell a little cage with hunds of seeds and raisns stuck togther, my squirrells share it with woodpeckers and other birds....it hands from a tree on a chain they can all use. It keeps them very busy and off your feeders. And your squirrells will have nice healthy coats! Everybody wins.

• navymom2226
    18 years ago

LOL msrpaul!!-- I gave up trying to "outsmart" those squirrels, too!! I bought one of the little cedar boxes to fill with corn and peanuts. Keeps the squirrels busy for hours,,, but oh boy am I in trouble if I forget to fill the dang thing,,,,,,,,,, it's like "hello..the box is empty and now I'm off to the birdfeeders"!! I love it when they sit outside and peek in thru the screen door trying to see where I am...

• squirrelly
    13 years ago

The Squirrel Buster Bird Feeder is a better buy for the money with no battery necessary but they both have their advantages. They are both large capacity. The Squirrel Buster has a removable cardinal ring and it is dishwasher safe. You can find the video on the Squirrel Buster at the link below. Also the Droll Yankee Flipper video is on the backyard bird watcher site as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squirrel Buster Video

• alexandra.gin
    11 years ago

Has anybody found it cheaper than here ?

Here is a link that might be useful: bird feeder squirrel buster

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

It is going to cost you around $85-$90 no matter where you go
    nice feeder though, we have had ours for just over a year and not a single seed has been eaten by squirrels

• stegsnstups
    7 years ago

I own a yankee flipper as well and it has lasted many years - probably going on 5 now against the elements which is pretty respectable. It is a bit pricey but when you average it out based on how long it lasts and that it's so well built it is worth it. Here is the link to it on amazon. http://amzn.to/1UdB714

Also, there is a variant that doesn't use batteries called the yankee whipper. Instead of a spinning ring it has spring loaded perches that collapse when squirrels get to them. Probably not quite as entertaining as the flipper but still a good brand and very well built. http://amzn.to/1rvQiIc 

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery