Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
infonose

Can barn owls and bats co-exist?

infonose
19 years ago

I am planning to put up a bat house. I recently learned that barn owls are relatively easy to attract, and they eat rodents. Since my cat has retired from hunting, I am interested in rodent control. My question: if I provide shelters and am lucky enough to have both owls and a bat colony, will the owls eat the bats?

Comments (13)

• dampflippers
    19 years ago

Owls definitely eat bats, but I don't know more than that.

• Elly_NJ
    19 years ago

Barn owks mostly eat mice and voles. They have shared the planet with bats for a few million years and have no appreciable effect on bat populations.

• birding_nut
    19 years ago

In studies that have been done on Barn Owl pellet analysis, I don't know of any that have found bats. If they do take bats, I am sure it is purely opportunistic. They take primarily voles and mice. Therefore, you needn't worry about Barn Owls feeding on your bats. I think morphologically, they would have a difficult time catching a bat since they are designed to hover and pounce on their prey.

BN

• dampflippers
    19 years ago

I was told by someone who had bats living in a tree in the neighbouring garden that she had seen owls attacking them as they left or returned to their roost.
    On the other hand 2 years ago we had a holiday in France in a converted priory. There were lots of bats if several sorts. There were also owls nesting in one of the buildings, and they always flew off to hunt.

• John_D
    19 years ago

I suspect an alert bat can detect owls with its "radar" and escape being caught.

• sarahbn
    19 years ago

That's neat!! What a great story!! thanks OkieDawn! Sarah

• Elaine_NJ6
    19 years ago

I've never heard of bat houses actually attracting bats. The best thing you can do to attract them is to stop using pesticides of any kind, since many bat species feed on flying insects. We see them occasionally, and we live in an old, built-up suburb. They will roost in attics if they can get in, but that's not a great idea, since bats do carry rabies. Welcome them, but not in your house.

• jillmcm
    19 years ago

Elaine - I know of several bathouses that have succeeded, but it takes a lot of effort to find the right place for them as the bats are very picky. I think a lot of people put up unsuitable houses that they purchase at Home Depot or the like, and then put them up any which way and never see a bat. That doesn't mean the houses can't work, though.

• marys1000
    19 years ago

One thing is said, don't try to attract Barn Owls if you have a
    Great Horned that stays around. Great Horned will kill the Barn owl babies.
    Otherwise Barn Owls are in a serious decline and if you can help them out I would certainly try to do so. I don't think bats are an issue with Barn Owls. Maybe a different type of Owl?
    Mary

• Boopadaboo
    19 years ago

How do you attract barn owls? What are Great Horned?

I have lots of voles/mice and I thought it might be a good idea to try to attract some owls - I have no idea how though....

• HU-467956295
    3 years ago

I observed a Barn owl hunting bats last night, using a flashlight. It moved very quickly and ranged over an 11 acre field. It makes a continual almost buzzing call unlike ant owl call I have heard. I think it is using echo location to find the bats. We have a large maternal bat roost next door..

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    3 years ago

Owls do not use echolocation.